+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Bass Diffuser

I'm Geoff.

With all due respect, the pictured item may have an effect on higher frequencies when close to the source, but it will have no influence on bass. The wavelength at low frequencies is big and would not be impacted by small projections on a board.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubies View Post
    Andrei
    Very nice, i like building with wood myself.
    Where did you imagine putting it? It might go well on a wall, perhaps as a set of three behind your listening position?
    I don't have to worry about behind the seating position as the listening room is very long and the seating position is half way down. I will use one behind one speaker, another on a 'point of first reflection' and the set of three on a blank (ish) side wall.

Gordon:
    I see, I see, or at least I get the concept. Are you an octopus? One hand to hold the inner part, one to hold the outer part, one one to hold the drill. That's three for starters and then you need one more to hold the glass of wine that assists in keeping the other hands steady!
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    With all due respect, the pictured item may have an effect on higher frequencies when close to the source, but it will have no influence on bass. The wavelength at low frequencies is big and would not be impacted by small projections on a board.
    Surely all sound waves have to follow the same principals of reflecting at the angle of incidence. So far I have not noticed a difference and as noted by another the one I have done is by itself unlikely to be sufficient. I have read that a bookshelf nearby is a good thing and this diffuser would have to be at least as effective as that. The proof will be in the pudding no doubt.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Gordon:
    I see, I see, or at least I get the concept. Are you an octopus? One hand to hold the inner part, one to hold the outer part, one one to hold the drill. That's three for starters and then you need one more to hold the glass of wine that assists in keeping the other hands steady!
    Yup, you got the general principle, particularly the wine bit, it helps steady the hand no end

I'm Geoff.

Try it Andrei. hold the diffuser in front of a speaker, you'll likely notice that higher frequencies are affected, but not lower ones.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Try it Andrei. hold the diffuser in front of a speaker, you'll likely notice that higher frequencies are affected, but not lower ones.
    I have tested sound 'absorbing' material simply by kind of 'yelling at it' - seems too simple but it works pretty well, chaning the pitch of your voice etc. - (pls dont call the guys with the coats just yet! )

Here is an idea:
    Since the objective is to change the reflection pattern off the wall - it may be possible to test it by first: stand next to the wall and listen to the 'sound bounce', and second: hold up the diffuser (or have someone else hold it up if you dont want to block the sound path)

That might give a clear result too
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Geoff.

Here's a link to some interesting info on the subject:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec0.../acoustics.htm

As is implied, absorbtion/damping of bass reflections is the way to go, Diffusion being more useful at higher frequencies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12