+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AT33-PTG

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

During the winter it was tracking beautifully at around 1.5g, but with the weather getting warmer, I've had to hike it to around 1.8g as it started sounding a bit messy.
    Hi Rich,

That's the opposite of what is normally required. VTF is usually increased as ambient temperature becomes lower. Not to worry, though!

Incidentally, just to make it clear, and this applies to everyone - as I've said on many occasions, I rate the AT33PTG very highly, so please don't think differently. My comments above were aimed solely at a specific aspect of the sound which Dave had referred to and asked me to comment on.

Jason summed it up quite nicely (although 'tone' is more what I'm talking about than just bass):

Compared to the 103, the bass may be a little less, but definitely not thin or lacking. This thing has punch and balls. The high end is were it really shines though. It's spectacular from my limited experience.
    Indeed, and probably better than (or at least as good as) 90% of supposed 'hi-end' moving coils at many times the price! Whenever I'm asked to recommend a 'user-friendly', top-notch, affordable MC cartridge, the AT33PTG fits the bill perfectly.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Rich,

That's the opposite of what is normally required. VTF is usually increased as ambient temperature becomes lower. Not to worry, though!

Marco.
    I always thought it was a bit backwards, so that did confuse me slightly. It's always possible that there was some other element involved too, which is always the way with these turntable things ;-).
    Rich

MartinT Guest

Yesterday I was listening to an original 1956 vinyl release on Capitol of 'Swing Easy' by Frank Sinatra, and quite apart from the excellent music, I marvelled at the phenomenal quality of the recording, in terms of how musically 'real' it seemed. It used valve microphones, etc, throughout the (simplicity) of the recording process, compared to the bastardisation which largely happens to music nowadays in studios
    Similarly, one of my prized recordings is the 1959 boxed set of Harry Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall. It also used valve mics and has jaw-dropping realism with every tiny detail on and off-stage revealed in a totally fabulous three-dimensional space. I shall look out for the Sinatra - thanks.

By the way, your footer is growing to be longer than some of your posts

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    My only slight niggle with it is that it does seem to be quite sensitive to temperature. During the winter it was tracking beautifully at around 1.5g, but with the weather getting warmer, I've had to hike it to around 1.8g as it started sounding a bit messy.
    The Vinyl Engine forum is full of the 33PTG's sensitivity to tracking weight. I'm about to install mine (just as soon as my Underwood-modified GCPH arrives) and the concensus seems to be to start around 1.7g and adjust accordingly. I can't wait to get it going - currently admiring it from every angle in its box!

I'm Peter.

Peter, which Nat King Cole album/recording was it? I've got most of them and none sound "syrupy" - far from it!
    Somekind of best of, I can't recall the exact title. I've always found Nat King Cole too syrupy, it's the bloody strings with everything that they used to add at the time. Taken in isolation, his voice is not syrupy. The AT33PTG attenuated, for me, the syrupy string presentation. The strings sounded more gutty, as they should!
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

Peter,

Somekind of best of, I can't recall the exact title.
    There's yer problem... It was probably a duff transfer. Compilations are rarely as good as the orignal albums, IME, or (some) audiophile re-mastered pressings of originals.

I've always found Nat King Cole too syrupy, it's the bloody strings with everything that they used to add at the time.
    LOL. Well, I'm the opposite - I love the string sections of the accompanying orchestra, which incidentally have never sounded "syrupy", chez-moi. Quite the contrary, actually: more 'crisply defined and steely-real', with shockingly vivid dynamics and massive 'scale', giving you goose bumps, than "syrupy", which is how they should sound. You need a valve amp and a quality big pair of speakers, monsieur!

Taken in isolation, his voice is not syrupy. The AT33PTG attenuated, for me, the syrupy string presentation. The strings sounded more gutty, as they should!
    His voice should definitely not be syrupy. If it is, you've (as in 'one has') definitely got a problem with (one's) system. Some of NKC's albums on Capitol are amongst the finest sounding recordings you'll ever hear (ditto with, for example, those of Dean Martin, Elvis and Frank Sinatra on the same label).

For some reason, Capitol got it *so* right in the mid to late 50s (and into the 60s, too) when recording those artists. I'd love to know the equipment and processes they used... Bring them back, I say!

For a truly 'audiophile musical Nat King Cole experience', try one of these:

http://www.vinyltap.co.uk/shop/item/...034536865.aspx

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nat-King-Cole-...08121003r26981

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Martin,

Similarly, one of my prized recordings is the 1959 boxed set of Harry Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall. It also used valve mics and has jaw-dropping realism with every tiny detail on and off-stage revealed in a totally fabulous three-dimensional space. I shall look out for the Sinatra - thanks.

By the way, your footer is growing to be longer than some of your posts
    LOL. Hey, such is life!

I'm not saying that all 1950s recordings were superb; I'm sure many weren't, but experience suggests that some were quite special in terms of recording quality. Those which came into that category, IMO, have rarely been equalled today.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Peter.

There's yer problem... It was probably a duff transfer. Compilations are rarely as good as the orignal albums, IME, or (some) audiophile re-mastered pressings of originals.
    I wouldn't say it was duff, I was actually quite impressed compared with how I remembered the album. I'm sure that US originals are better, because ...

Some of NKC's albums on Capitol are amongst the finest sounding recordings you'll ever hear (ditto with, for example, those of Dean Martin, Elvis and Frank Sinatra on the same label).

For some reason, Capitol got it *so* right in the mid to late 50s (and into the 60s, too) when recording those artists. I'd love to know the equipment and processes they used!
    I have some 80s reissues, maybe 70s, because they don't have barcodes, of Frank. Yes they sound fabulous. Hang on a minute, Elvis was never on Capitol, or was he ?

Truthfully, I'm going to give a NKC another spin shortly, I was quite taken with it last night. I just, as a rule, don't care for string orchestras on pop or jazz recordings, but as you said that might be because I have a naff system
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.