+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntable...decisions oh decisions.

I'm Nigel.

Hi James,

I will chuck the Townshend Rock into the mix, great turntable, I have 3 of them, worth a look and sound great in standard form and a doddle to set up.

Nigel

I'm James.

Looks great but also out of my price range.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by selby View Post
    All really interesting...

I don't want to buy something and then be forever spending money upgrading it. So based on that would a Thorens or Rega maybe be better suited?
    Sorry your getting a negative image here. I can only tell you my own experience.

Until June this year I owned a Linn LP12 with a Linn Ittok LVIII arm, I loved it. Then I was offered 50% more than I had paid for it, an offer I couldn't refuse.

I then purchased my Tecnics SL1210M5G. I changed the arm, mat and feet and have ended up with a SQ that well and truly beats the Linn and still have a little change left. I do not now feel the need to upgrade further.

If I sold this deck, I feel I could make a small profit again as I still have all the original parts and could get the Tecnics back to its original spec.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Julian.

All really interesting...

I don't want to buy something and then be forever spending money upgrading it. So based on that would a Thorens or Rega maybe be better suited?
    James, in my experience, the Technics offers a very different presentation to belt-drive decks I have heard and indeed the PL-71 - it's not for me, but others swear by them, so it's really down to your ears and preferences.

If you don't want to be tempted by the infinite number of upgrades available then yes, you might well want to look elsewhere IMO. Another one to throw in the mix is the Heybrook TT2 which would be affordable. Interesting thread here if you haven't read it already -

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ison-almost%29
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Paul.

Funny how most Techie fans came from an LP12 . Now I can see that may be seen as an improvement. £2K worth of messing about and instead you could buy an Orbe of Hyperspace all pre-fettled by the manufacturer.

I'm Nobody.

If i were gonna buy a new deck today, a deck that i could pretty much be well satisfied out of the box would be a 'Gyrodec'

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Sorry your getting a negative image here. I can only tell you my own experience.

Until June this year I owned a Linn LP12 with a Linn Ittok LVIII arm, I loved it. Then I was offered 50% more than I had paid for it, an offer I couldn't refuse.

I then purchased my Tecnics SL1210M5G. I changed the arm, mat and feet and have ended up with a SQ that well and truly beats the Linn and still have a little change left. I do not now feel the need to upgrade further.

If I sold this deck, I feel I could make a small profit again as I still have all the original parts and could get the Tecnics back to its original spec.

l too have a story like this, l had a megabucks belt drive/arm/cart/phone stage, and bought a Techie after being curious, and needless to say l never looked back......... l do not think l could go back to belt drive unless l won lottery, wait a minute they make hi-end DDs now.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm James.

Never thought this would be such a topic of debate!

So confused...think if a 1210 in good condition came my way I'd have to try it with the basic tweaks!

I'm Andy.

Never thought this would be such a topic of debate!

So confused...think if a 1210 in good condition came my way I'd have to try it with the basic tweaks!

Try a beat up old one from that auction site, l did and was pleasantly surprised at what was on offer, mod inexpensively to start.......
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm James.

Been looking on eBay but really don't want one from a spotty teenager who's been attempting to be FatBoy Slim.

So of anyone has a tidy one for sensible money let me know, or to be fair any tidy suitable TT that would be suitable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast