+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cassette's Not Dead, Apparently!

I'm Nick.

Default Cassette's Not Dead, Apparently!

I came across this article in the Telegraph trumpeting the resurgence of cassette. Some great comments from our friend David Price (HI-Fi World editor, and occasional contributor to this fine forum )...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/5261...-comeback.html

Internet search engine Yahoo has reported "a bump in searches" for 'blank cassette tapes' (up 210 per cent) and 'music cassette tapes' (up 110 per cent).
    I'm sure that's not all down to me!

"There has been a resurgence, partly driven by the high-end music purists market and partly because of what you might call the 'silent majority' of people who still have a cassette player in their kitchen or their car," said David Price, editor of Hi-Fi World magazine.
    'High-end music purists' eh? I like that
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

There has been a resurgence, partly driven by the high-end music purists market and partly because of what you might call the 'silent majority' of people who still have a cassette player in their kitchen or their car," said David Price, editor of Hi-Fi World magazine
    So................do the silent majority listen to blank cassettes?

.............sounds a bit boring to me. Still I guess when CD was released they told us to listen to the silent background.........maybe they're just taking that to it's logical conclusion!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

High-end purists? Of course, Nicky-boy, I've always said that cassette done well is better than CD!!

The problem is, not many people have heard it 'done well'...

And David has always been a man of some taste and discernment

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Ooh, I'm officially a member of the silent majority! Still use cassettes in the car occasionally - less fiddly than the mp3 player, never need recharging and in my rust-bucket sound quality doesn't really come into it!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    So................do the silent majority listen to blank cassettes?

.............sounds a bit boring to me. Still I guess when CD was released they told us to listen to the silent background.........maybe they're just taking that to it's logical conclusion!
    They're probably listening to John Cage's '4:33', or maybe to recordings of the sound of 'one hand clapping'.

Barry

I'm Neil.

Nice article...I still use tapes and I love putting compilations together, not that I have done this for awhile mind you.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    High-end purists? Of course, Nicky-boy, I've always said that cassette done well is better than CD!!

The problem is, not many people have heard it 'done well'...

And David has always been a man of some taste and discernment

Marco.
    Why thank you dear boy... Oh, wrong David....

Please define, "Cassette done well?" I think I've owned or sold many of the very best machines out there...

What I CAN tell you is that cassettes are noisy, unreliable and even well stored, anything but metal (type IV formulations) will lose treble output after a few plays and especially after a few decades in storage. Still got a box full as proof..

Give me a decent high-speed reel to reel, DAT and, better still, a decent CDR anyday (accepting that even some of those can be unreliable if you're unlucky).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

niklasthedolphin Guest

I am one of those with a lot of tapes well done and they beat the CD at any time on any CD player.
    I also have R2R and sure they are unbeatable.

My tape decks have been playing faultless for decades.
    Even my old tapes still remain bright and crisp after 100's of plays and noise floor is very low and only there as the compromise to bring that micro dynamics out of the closet that digital encoding can't.

Sorry to read about people who never understood how to record and treat tapes and what machines to go for to get the best out of them.

"dolph"

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Goodness me, Dolph, for once we're in agreement - get out the flags!

Dave, I'll come back to you later. I'm having a wee 'choon session' at the moment

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Just bought myself a nice sony sports walkman with original headphones still in the box for a tenner off ebay to play the suitcase full of cassette"s that i found in my loft,

Most of them date from the 80"s and they sound pretty good! a tiny bit of tape hiss in the background but enjoyable,

Not used my ipod for nearly a week now!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast