+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: CD Player

I'm Stuart.

Default WTB: CD Player

What CD players are lurking in your closets??!

Im (still) looking for a cd player. Something not too expensive, but good for cds and as a transport, solid build. Definately not harsh (i.e. without listening fatigue)

My budget could be up to 200 or a bit more if needed.

And it must be ship-able (maybe local pickup in london if no other options)

So i ask "is there anything out there?"
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm James.

I don't have anything but I can highly recommend the Technics SL-PS900. Snobs may sneer at the brand but as far as "analogue" sounding CD players go its right up there IME... One of the smoothest sounding players I've owned.

Twin transformers, power supply capacitors that wouldn't be out of place inside an amplifier, more regulators than a regulator factory, proper Alps motorised volume pot for variable out, cast metal disc tray with a really nice mech, proper class A output stage & The DAC chip was specially designed & manufactured for this model... If it were from an audiophile brand it would be big bucks.

You can pick them up for between £30-£80 [...Just don't tell everyone ]

I'm Alan.

Technics cd players are not the best in the lower ranges...but the 900 you mention is a fine machine...
    Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    I don't have anything but I can highly recommend the Technics SL-PS900. Snobs may sneer at the brand but as far as "analogue" sounding CD players go its right up there IME... One of the smoothest sounding players I've owned.

Twin transformers, power supply capacitors that wouldn't be out of place inside an amplifier, more regulators than a regulator factory, proper Alps motorised volume pot for variable out, cast metal disc tray with a really nice mech, proper class A output stage & The DAC chip was specially designed & manufactured for this model... If it were from an audiophile brand it would be big bucks.

You can pick them up for between £30-£80 [...Just don't tell everyone ]

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I've an Arcam CD 62T I'd part with if you're interested?

Have remote and original box.

I'm Roger.

Default Linn Mimik

I have a Linn Mimik that is very smooth and ideal as a transport.

It has a BNC digital output as well as two sets of phonos.

It had a new laser fitted about 3 years ago.

I do not have a genuine Linn remote but it does work with another remote that I can provide.

I'm looking for £180 plus postage or can be collected from South London

I'm Stuart.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and offers!!

Im researching them now - will see which one looks to be the winner

Appreciate any comments on the ideas.!
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Gone.

I'd be tempted by the Creek CD60 at the Sound Org

http://www.soundorg.co.uk/second-hand/

It uses the highly regarded S1 Crown version of the TDA1541 DAC and it is beautifully built internally. The last one on EBay went for £252 and The Sound Org are only asking £175.

I'm Stuart.

Here is some interesting comentary on the quality of Lasers in today's CD players. It claims that today's laser quality control is much lower than before.

I think everyone will find this interesting:
    http://www.creekaudio.com/faqs/why-w...er-read-discs/

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    I'd be tempted by the Creek CD60 at the Sound Org

http://www.soundorg.co.uk/second-hand/

It uses the highly regarded S1 Crown version of the TDA1541 DAC and it is beautifully built internally. The last one on EBay went for £252 and The Sound Org are only asking £175.

I'm Graham.

I have a Cambridge Audio one packed away so could look at the model # etc if you are interested

Main System
    FLAC -> Synology DS413j NAS -> SB Touch -> CA DacMagic -> Icon Audeo Sterio 40i -> LV Auditorium

Office System
    FLAC -> Ubuntu server running LMS -> SB3 -> Kenwood Amp (from the 80's) -> Mordaunt-Short MS.3.40

I'm Stuart.

hey all,

still working on this decision - i havent left... watch this space

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast