+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chapter preface signature

I'm ROLAND.

Default Chapter preface signature

Hello all

i'm a new member ( i'm from France ) and sorry in advance for my english.

So, i'll be interested by informations on an preamp Chapter Preface (?) Signature ?
    I have the possiblity to buy this preamp ...but first, i had a question : the word "preface" is not mentionned on the preamp just "signature".
    Somebody can give me an advice ? and comparatively ( and according to the price range ) to the others preamps known ?

Thanks in advance for your help

ps : i have an ATC SPA2 150 amplifier

Roland

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by lanho View Post
    Hello all

i'm a new member ( i'm from France ) and sorry in advance for my english.

So, i'll be interested by informations on an preamp Chapter Preface (?) Signature ?
    I have the possiblity to buy this preamp ...but first, i had a question : the word "preface" is not mentionned on the preamp just "signature".
    Somebody can give me an advice ? and comparatively ( and according to the price range ) to the others preamps known ?

Thanks in advance for your help

ps : i have an ATC SPA2 150 amplifier

Roland
    The Chapter Audio Preface was the standard Chapter Audio preamp http://www.allegrosound.com/Chapter_Preface.pdf
    that went with their first poweramp Two and the following the Couplet. There was a better version the preface + (read about it here http://www.cadence-tech.com.sg/Lifes...io/preface.htm and the rare Signature (I have one of these) but being honest I know nothing about the Signature the differences must be under the hood as the pre looks the same as the others though I know the first pre didn't have a wired remote out for triggering the power amp to switch on.

You can read a review of the first pre and the Two power amp here http://www.cadence-tech.com.sg/Lifes...io/reviews.htm

A phone call to Chapter (ask for Duncan Shipton - nice guy) is the only way to find out more about the Signature and if you do that would you post here what you find out as it would be nice to find out a bit more about it. From a buying point of view I would avoid the first preamp as there were serious issues with reliability and functionality (I had one) and the processor fault mine had mean't it would switch on and adjust the volume by itself including going to full volume - weird. The Two power amp is best avoided too, as serious reliability issues existed with them as well. The Couplet is a solid product (as is the Preface + and Signature preamplifier) and a much better power amplifier than the Two.

The sound is very clean, very open and can in the wrong set up sound bleached of tonality, plus bad recordings are stripped bare. The Preface and Two sound very lacking in drive as well and as such the way music is reproduced leaves you wanting to turn the volume up but this doesn't change that quirk. The Preface +, Preface Signature and Couplet pairing don't have any of those issues but I would pair them with a to the warmer side of neutral front end.

I use mine every so often but the lack of a fixed output for hook up to a tape deck makes the pre less suitable for my day to day needs than the items I mostly use

Regards Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 25-08-2013 at 19:32.
    Regards Neil

I'm ROLAND.

Default Chapter

Thanks a lot Neil for your prompt reply.
    The model that i wish to buy has exactly the same look that a "preface plus" but it has only the name "signature" .
    Is it a very good preamp without problems ? it dated 2007
    I think to buy it without listening and there is not warranty....this is the reason that i have a lot of questions

thanks

+ Reply to Thread