+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Hard Disc?

I'm Twisted.

Default Which Hard Disc?

Apologies in advance for what promises to be an agonisingly dull thread. I shall use short sentences to give it some bounce.

The 500gb disc in my vortexbox server is almost full. Time for an upgrade. Think I'll go for a 2TB. But which one!!? Caviar Green? Samsung F-something?

Function: music server, backup NAS storage.
    Requirements: QUIET (my VB is in the much-used dining room in the east wing); energy efficient (it's on 24/7); Reliable; Odourless (this is an attempt at humour).

Any recommendations? Also where to buy? Amazon?

Ta
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Western Digital RED most definitely IMO for that purpose. Amazon and Scan were offering the best prices recently, but check Ebuyer too.

The WD Greens have had some intellipark issues and the RED does not use this, they are quieter and use less power than the Greens and are the latest technology but designed for NAS. They do cost a little more but I think they are the ones to beat at the moment for the use you want.

There are lots of reviews, pretty much all positive.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/inter...igital-red-3tb

http://www.silentpcreview.com/WD_Red
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Twisted.

cheers Tim
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Been eying up the Reds myself recently, let us know where you get the best price?

I'm Chris.

I've had four 2Tb WD Reds in my server for the last nine months without issue. Very quiet as well.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Western Digital RED most definitely IMO for that purpose. Amazon and Scan were offering the best prices recently, but check Ebuyer too.

The WD Greens have had some intellipark issues and the RED does not use this, they are quieter and use less power than the Greens and are the latest technology but designed for NAS. They do cost a little more but I think they are the ones to beat at the moment for the use you want.

There are lots of reviews, pretty much all positive.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/inter...igital-red-3tb

http://www.silentpcreview.com/WD_Red
    +1 - I use external drives and have had great results and reliability from Western Digital drives... Don't touch LaCie with a bargepole, my Dad uses them and they're always failing!
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    +1 - I use external drives and have had great results and reliability from Western Digital drives... Don't touch LaCie with a bargepole, my Dad uses them and they're always failing!
    I thought LaCie was a dog in the movies.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    Don't touch LaCie with a bargepole
    You may or may not know Paul, but I work with computers and we have a pet name for LaCie at work . . . LaCie lose data
    The hard drives inside them are fine and they might be OK now (not used them for years), but these things lost more data and caused more headaches than you could imagine. Not sure why, poor control boards I guess? They are without doubt the most unreliable things we have ever used . . .YMMV.

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    You may or may not know Paul, but I work with computers
    Tim, I didn't but I do now - I also 'work with computers, well, actually I am an IT Manager and personally haven't been near the inside of a computer at work for years LOL.

I agree totally though, my Dad went for a Porsche designed LaCie drives because 'they're good looking' and he has had nothing but trouble with them!
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Simon.

As already pointed out, Western Digital Reds are a standard recommendation for this type of application. It might be worth noting that Seagate have just brought out their own NAS-suitable drives (called, with great originality, "Seagate NAS"). As for where to buy, make sure you choose somewhere with a good returns and warranty service! In addition to those alreadt recommended, overclockers seems to be flighing high amongs customer recommendations at the moment.
    Meridian 200/263 into Quad 66/606 into Harbeth M30.1. Sometimes a Samsung laptop into an Epiphany Acoustics E-Dac into the Quads.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast