+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ready to smash.....

I'm Steve.

Default Ready to smash.....

Right chaps i have had all about i can take i could really use some advice.

I have brought a Pioneer N-50 network streamer, and i have a drobo NAS drive, this one to be specific: http://www.drobo.co.uk/products/professionals/drobo-5d/ unfortunately it is the version without the fu*cking ethernet connection.... and it is way to late to send it back as this was brought way before i even thought about the N-50, so please don't suggest getting rid of it unless there is no other solution! I have just brought on of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in an attempt to put it on the network but the drobo does not seem to power up with this plugged in and i can't see feature on the GUI to suggest it can be left permanently online.

At the moment i am having to use my incredibly shagged laptop as a middle man which is not ideal and i would like to remove it from the chain. So in summary, how to i get my network to see my N-50 allowing me to use an iPad with control app and can i get this drobo on my network?

Over to you.....
    Amplifier:
    Sony DA-2400ES
    Sources:
    Technics SL-PG490 CD Player
    Pioneer N-50 - Network Streamer
    Sony MDS-JB940 Mini Disc Player
    Sony BDP-S360 BLU RAY
    SKY HD 1tb Box
    Speakers:
    Paradigm Monitor 7 Monitors
    Paradigm Centre
    Mordaunt Short Rears
    Cables:
    Tellurium Blue speaker cables with bridges
    and terminated with Z plugs
    Black Rhodium twist.

I'm ChrisB.

I've moved this thread over to Digital Expressions Steve - it sits better here than in Blank Canvas.

I'm Simon.

I don't know what others think, but I'm not sure that this has a simple solution. I haven't used the equipment that you have, but from the online despcriptions it sounds as if the drobo-5d is a super-glorified USB drive. The usual way of getting such a thing onto a lan is to plug it into the usb port of a computer and to use whatever network sharing facilities the operating system of the computer offers. The usb/lan adapter that you link to also appears to be designed to plug into a computer; it needs to have drivers available to it for it to work - and it's not clear how you'd get those drivers to be available if you just plugged it into the drobo.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think the obvious way forward is to obtain a small cheapo computer of some sort on which to mount the drobo (or continue using your laptop) and go from there. Anyone else spot anything I've missed?
    Meridian 200/263 into Quad 66/606 into Harbeth M30.1. Sometimes a Samsung laptop into an Epiphany Acoustics E-Dac into the Quads.

I'm Graham.

I am sure this must be possible if you swap the drives over - maybe worth thinking about this as a cheap fix

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...%28diskless%29

Main System
    FLAC -> Synology DS413j NAS -> SB Touch -> CA DacMagic -> Icon Audeo Sterio 40i -> LV Auditorium

Office System
    FLAC -> Ubuntu server running LMS -> SB3 -> Kenwood Amp (from the 80's) -> Mordaunt-Short MS.3.40

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpton_Rioter View Post
    I am sure this must be possible if you swap the drives over - maybe worth thinking about this as a cheap fix

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...%28diskless%29
    A look in the Pioneer manual says that you need summat running DLNA server, which I'm not sure the Drobo is capable of doing, so if you're not already a member of the Drobo forums become one and ask the question over there.

The device linked to in the quote can do DLNA server duties, as can the NAS drives from Zyxel.
    I've been using a Zyxel NSA310 for ages, and it has served (pun intended) me proud for quite a while now running LMS for my Squeezeboxes.

For the interim your laptop is going to need to perform serving duties.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Steve.

Thanks guys, i will get on the Drobo forum, and i will have to keep using the laptop for now....
    Amplifier:
    Sony DA-2400ES
    Sources:
    Technics SL-PG490 CD Player
    Pioneer N-50 - Network Streamer
    Sony MDS-JB940 Mini Disc Player
    Sony BDP-S360 BLU RAY
    SKY HD 1tb Box
    Speakers:
    Paradigm Monitor 7 Monitors
    Paradigm Centre
    Mordaunt Short Rears
    Cables:
    Tellurium Blue speaker cables with bridges
    and terminated with Z plugs
    Black Rhodium twist.

Another vote for the Zyxel NSA310. But the WOL feature is a bit of a mystery to me.

+ Reply to Thread