+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Journeys end...?

I'm fuckoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    I spent years...decades....thinking bigger was better, but making these ...https://6moons.com/audioreviews/zigm...gmahornet.html
    got me to realise that small COULD sound good.
    AND 'full-range'!
    The quality persuaded me to get my current Ocellia Calliopes (which ain't 'small' but.....)
    I'm thinking of Kroma Mimis, if I ever sell the Calliopes!
    https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/kroma2/
    I’ve read great things about Kromas; I’d love to hear them for myself someday.

Tbh, I am a bass freak although I don’t rate ‘punter’ bass. I want it tight, tuneful, textured and deep, and floorstanders or multiple subs are really the only way to achieve that.

I listen to a lot of drum and bass and this particularly highlights the shortcomings of my bookshelves in this area.

I'm fuckoff.

I got the new speakers set up optimally (below).

Optimal in this context means:

*gutting all of the cables in the system (power, interconnect and loudspeaker, incl jumpers),

*give them a deoxit (clean and then deoxit gold enhancement) all over

*put them back in perfectly (I did a bodge job before when I put the amps in), so minimal contact, Shunyata supports where they touch the floor

*placed the speakers on my full RDC combo (spikes, cups and combi bases)

This took a good while, but this is the first time I’ve been genuinely satisfied with the ‘technical’ aspects of my set up - I always knew before things were in a state of flux.

How do they sound?

TLDR; these are the best speakers I’ve had the pleasure of owning (this includes the Usher mini DMD II’s).

One caveat with this statement, my system has moved on significantly in the last ~year or so, ergo the other speakers never had a fair chance lol.

Bearing that in mind, I am still these are the best I’ve had in my system:

*They are open yet controlled and tight,

*they let nuances in throughout the entire frequency range that I’ve never heard before (lower noise floor than that others?). Notice I’m not saying ‘detailed’, they don’t highlight treble at all, they’re neutral to my ears. The treble has gorgeous air around it. One caveat, bad recordings still sound shite lol.

*one thing that blows my mind is the bass on this model, I’m easily getting into the 30hz region! No it’s not damaging the houses foundations, but wow! Compared to the Ushers, these things kick arse! Being an EDM fam, bass is important to me and I’m so glad to have it back. It’s tight, controlled and tuneful too.

*they’re snappy, timing is fast, they start and stop faster than anything I’m used to, which of course helps to portray the musical message.

*their dynamic capability is good; great recordings ‘pop’ with vivacious energy and they can play loud! I don’t always listen loud, but I like to turn it up every now and then and they play without strain (thank you monoblocks for your help here).

NB.

1. The 6D jumpers still have a good while to fully burn in, so I expect further uplifts in the treble quality. Also, the Galans have allowed my system really show what it’s actually capable of delivering and I’m delighted!

2. My DC blocker is fully burnt in and, because of the nature of my electricity (very poor) it’s made a large uplift in the quality of my systems sound, this really lets my amps and source operate as they’re meant to, in turn, the speakers articulate this excellently.

In summary:

I’m exceptionally happy �� I’ve no intention to change anything in the immediate future. When back in England, I will move up in speaker size, but I foresee me sticking with Quadral, they’re a superb brand.

D7746EFD-4908-434C-AD71-12A8E0373A24 by Martin Johnson, on Flickr

2C73A31F-A88A-4214-BD0E-6306A43AA40F by Martin Johnson, on Flickr
    Last edited by realysm42; 15-10-2019 at 20:02.

I'm Alan.

Quadral Galan 9? I have heard this model and was very impressed, good stuff

I'm fuckoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Quadral Galan 9? I have heard this model and was very impressed, good stuff
    Hi Alan, that's right, the Quadral Galan 9, I'm smitten

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425