+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holst - The Planets

I'm Keith.

Default Holst - The Planets

Way back in March, Martin T posted a comparison between several versions of Gustauv Holst's The Planets - http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...rsion)/page110 - post #1093 onwards, with several contributors chipping in with their own favourite versions. At the time, I was only familiar with the work through Tomita's version which I have on CD, so since then I've been keeping my eyes peeled in the local pisharias for versions of the work (especially on vinyl).

So far I've managed to get excellent condition copies of:

Vinyl:
    Herbert von Karajan/Vienna Philharmonic - Decca Ace Of Diamonds 1973 (reissue of 1962 recording)
    Sir Adrian Boult/The New Philharmonia Orchestra - EMI 1967

Vinyl
    Steinberg/Boston Symphony Orchestra - DG 1971
    Sir Adrian Boult - EMI 1979 in association with KEF loudspeakers

CD:
    David Lloyd-Jones/Royal Scottish National Orchestra - Naxos 2002

So far have only had a quick listen to all of them and am finding it difficult to choose a favourite. I think the Karajan just about shades it, but the Steinberg and the 1979 Boult run it very close. Sonically, I think the 1979 Boult is the winner, but all of them are well recorded.

I will have a listen in more depth over the coming weeks - I'm quite looking forward to closely comparing the two Boult recordings to see how his interpretation changed (if at all) over 12 years.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

synsei Guest

The best sounding version of Holst's Planet Suite I've heard was a Mono recording on Decca's Eclipse label originating from the 1960's, conducted by Sir Adrian himself. My copy has long gone to that great vinyl heaven in the sky unfortunately. IIRC it was performed by the LSO

I'm Paul.

I have this album on both CD and Vinyl and the Vinyl version walks all over the CD, but it has to be said that the CD was one of the buy 3 classical CD's for £15 at HMV so not really a fair comparison
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    The best sounding version of Holst's Planet Suite I've heard was a Mono recording on Decca's Eclipse label originating from the 1960's, conducted by Sir Adrian himself. My copy has long gone to that great vinyl heaven in the sky unfortunately. IIRC it was performed by the LSO
    Thanks Dave - looks like Boult recorded it (at least) three times then. I'll keep my eyes open for that one too.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

synsei Guest

I have just performed a search on Google to look for it but there were no results. Essentially the cover design mirrors that of the image below. The title header is the same colour but the image is of the planet Jupiter

I'm scott.

three 180g/audiophile New versions i know of on vinyl
    Previn LSO Emi/Hi-q
    Mehta - LA Phil Decca/Speakers Corner
    Mehta - LA Phil Decca/ORG 45rpm Double album

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by daytona600 View Post
    three 180g/audiophile New versions i know of on vinyl
    Previn LSO Emi/Hi-q
    Mehta - LA Phil Decca/Speakers Corner
    Mehta - LA Phil Decca/ORG 45rpm Double album

Also Keith, it is nice to look at the album artwork, dunno which one of those l like the most!
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

+ Reply to Thread