2 28.57%
  • 8 out of 10

1 14.29%
  • 9 out of 10

0 0%
  • 10 out of 10

1 14.29%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Album Club - Week 102: 15.07.2013: Third World - 'Third World' (1976)

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club - Week 102: 15.07.2013: Third World - 'Third World' (1976)

Album Club: 15.07.2013: Third World ~ Third World (1976)

Many thanks to Dave (synsei) for his donation to this weeks Album Club

Third World Wikipedia page.

Third World are a Jamaican reggae band who formed in 1973. Their sound is influenced by soul, funk and disco. Although they have undergone several lineup changes, Stephen "Cat" Coore and Richard Daley have been constant members, and singer William "Bunny Rugs" Clarke has been with them since 1976, singing on all but their debut album.

I am being a bit self-indulgent here in choosing this for Album Club as it reminds me so much of my father who passed away six years ago. Although not a huge fan of reggae this album resonates with me mainly due to those memories. When I was a small boy I became painfully aware that Dad's hifi system was a precision instrument and therefore it was to be treated almost with reverence. After dinner on a Sunday afternoon, myself and Dad would retire to the dining room which is where his system was housed. Then would begin a ceremony of sorts, as each part of his system was switched on and allowed to warm up. Off would come the lid to the Lenco, then he would choose a record and remove it from its sleeve like it was made from something so delicate. Onto the TT it would go where it would be wiped with an anti-static cloth. He'd set the platter spinning then bend down and gently blow any fluff from the stylus before moving it over the lead in groove, where he would gently lower it manually onto the record after which the magic would begin...

I'm Barry.

Not something I ever listen to Reggae, this is a nice album laid back although track 5 the up tempo Cross Reference was not to my liking.
    Track 6 Got To Get Along, I thought The Stylistics had appeared , then it was back to the reggae.
    Not bad 7/10

synsei Guest

I'm glad you enjoyed it Baz. Reggae isn't everyones cup of tea but I believe this album is more accessible than most reggae albums without being 'cheesy'

I'm Lawrence.

Have just finished listening all the way through - with a lot of foot tapping. Excellent rythmns and nice vibe. I have given it a 7 out of 10.

Lawrence

synsei Guest

I wonder whether members are being turned off listening to this by some of the bands later material which was aimed squarely at the charts and quite generic in nature. I can assure you this album is nothing like that

synsei Guest

After a minor telling off from Barry I have found a YT link for Satta Massagana, which is the first track on this album (sorry Barry, the full album is not available on YT) for those of you who don't have a Spotify subscription...

I'm Paul.

Yeah I like this one Dave quite a lot... thanks for bringing it to my attention
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

MartinT Guest

I have seriously disliked reggae all my life, so this was an uphill battle for me. It seems a little more varied and well produced than most so I give it 4/10 which is higher than I expected to give it. Sorry Dave, and I did play it through, I promise!

+ Reply to Thread