+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hard disk music player.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I woudn't consider using any SB without a separate DAC.As for the connection question,everone I've spoken to who has tried it both ways says wired is better.

Hi,

Sorry to buck the trend but I cannot hear any difference wired or wireless as long as the signal is good. I have a PC running wireless to a router and Squeezebox also wireless and it sounds brill through one of Stan's DAC's.

Regards

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    As for the connection question,everone I've spoken to who has tried it both ways says wired is better.
    That's very impressive. They've all done ABX testing I assume?

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Class View Post
    On no, don't start this ABX stuff......ABX is a short term listening comparison, which for me just does not cut it as I look for long term enjoyment. I can hear differences with short term comparisons but what those differences mean long term is not always obvious. I would add that some differences only become obvious after listening over a longer period, probably because you're not listening out for that particular difference in the first place.
    Last edited by Clive; 06-05-2009 at 07:22.

Cool Buying a squeezebox 3 classic

Okay folks I have decided after much consideration on a squeezbox classic in my quest to find a hard disk music player.
    the ps3 was a strong contender as it plays games, blue ray and has a hard disk too. however its a more expensive option especially if i upgrade to a bigger hard disk. i would like to thank you all for your advice in this thread and helping me decide what to get.
    okay, now does any one know the cheapest place on the net to buy a squeezebox 3 classic that also posts abroad within e.u.?
    I have seen ripcaster advertise them at 155.99 . I sent them an email to find out if they post to Cyprus and am waiting a reply.
    I will also consider a second hand one.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kalozois

Just found this seller on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Logitech-Sque...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by kalozois100; 07-05-2009 at 16:40. Reason: spelling mistakes - again!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Class View Post

Fine,you have your opinion,I'll have mine.One thing I certainly do not appreciate however,is your condescending tone.Were you taught any manners as a child?

I'm Steve.

Hi Kalozois

Have responded to your PM.

Regards
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

[QUOTE=kalozois100;44813]Okay folks I have decided after much consideration on a squeezbox classic in my quest to find a hard disk music player.
    the ps3 was a strong contender as it plays games, blue ray and has a hard disk too. however its a more expensive option especially if i upgrade to a bigger hard disk. i would like to thank you all for your advice in this thread and helping me decide what to get.
    okay, now does any one know the cheapest place on the net to buy a squeezebox 3 classic that also posts abroad within e.u.?
    I have seen ripcaster advertise them at 155.99 . I sent them an email to find out if they post to Cyprus and am waiting a reply.
    I will also consider a second hand one.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kalozois

Good to hear that you've made a decision enjoy

Have you looked at any of the TViX products LINK You can put any size hard drive in you want, can also use wireless from your computer(need to buy blue tooth dongle). Better with a monitor/TV, but has a better on board screen interface then the Squeeze Box and is really nice for file searching. Has every connection you will every need. Can copy and paste and delete files. Even plays hi def movies. I picked one up with a 500mb hard drive and HDTV module for around £200 off flea bay. A cracker of a product for hard drive music playing. If you look around you can find 4100sh new with 500mb hard drive for your budget.
    Last edited by captain; 08-05-2009 at 14:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    One thing I certainly do not appreciate however,is your condescending tone.Were you taught any manners as a child?
    I didn't mean to come across as condescending, I should have used a smiley in my reply, sorry about that.

If there is a difference in sound quality wired vs. wireless, it is minimal at best and when you said "everyone" you talked to could hear it I chuckled to myself

TCP/IP is very robust with checksumming/retransmissions etc. (see the Wikipedia link for a little more information) and packets out == packets in, unless there is something wrong with the link/buffer and if that's the case a wired link could have issues as well.

Regardless of what happens to the wireless signal on the way to the player, it should be verified and re-ordered/re-transmitted before it fills the input buffer, exactly the same way a wired signal would.

Now, I used to be a hi-fi nerd, regularly getting into heated discussions with engineers that claimed cables -as long as they were properly dimensioned- all sounded the same.

This is a different issue IMO, IP packets are easy to measure and bits doesn't change slightly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast