+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard disk music player.

Cool Hard disk music player.

Hi all,
    I would like to explore my options for a hard disk based music player for my main lounge set up. Ideally i would like it to have at least 500 gb hard disk, be able to play lossless flac aswell as mp3 and have a coaxial out so i can connect it to my beresford dac and then onto the amp. I have thought of a sqeezebox but prefer to have this set up completely seperate from my pc set up. budget is an issue . a big issue so linn one is out of the question.
    Some one has recomended an xbox for playing music but i don't know if it can play all audio files
    I intend to transfer my cds to this hard disk music player. I do not want to transfer my cds to my current pc set up. i think stan mentioned one in another thread but i can't seem to find it when i do a search. i intend to retire my current dvd/cd player as transport for playing audio cds.
    Suggestions most welcome. thanks
    kalozois

I'm Neal.

The performance requirements for playing music via a squeezebox is surprisingly low, you don't need a fancy PC at all. This means a cheap low cost system will do or perhaps somebody's cast off...

It also means you can locate the PC elsewhere in the house and not clutter up your living space, connection can be via cable or wireless. Control can be local to the SB if you go for the classic or there's the Duet option with the controller or if you have another Internet enable device you can access it via the IP address, I can do this via my smart-phone, a Nintendo DS or the Wii !

A mac mini may be a good idea if you don't like the SB approach but that may push the budget too far?
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Cool

thanks for the reply Neal.
    I have never personally seen or heard the sqeezebox. I do not know anyone who ownes one either. However i have read great things about it and some i gather prefer this method to a top cd transport. On a practical note, i gather it can receive wireless music files digitally. does the pc need to be on all the time ? i guess it would need to. Also what is the range of the wireless signal? eg does it have problems with walls or is the signal strong enough to transmit a long way? my pc set up is about 15 meters away from my lounge music set up. How does the sqeezebox in general work?? Would i have to connect to an external dac via usb or coaxial/optical? I already have a usb to coaxial adapter so that can be used to connect to the beresford dacif need be.
    Appologies for the basic questions but i read about the squeezebox on their site and it doesn't seem to inform on the above queries.
    Thanks kalozois
    Last edited by kalozois100; 03-05-2009 at 11:38.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

From what I've read,the SB sounds much better wired up as opposed to wireless.The SB Duet is a lovely bit of kit.Check this out-
    https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/282

The ripNAS looks good as a storage device.Just put your cd's in and it does the rest.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    From what I've read,the SB sounds much better wired up as opposed to wireless.The SB Duet is a lovely bit of kit.Check this out-
    https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/282

The ripNAS looks good as a storage device.Just put your cd's in and it does the rest.
    thanks i had a look at this NAS And it is exactly what i am after. However it is pricey and wondered if anyone has any alternatives eg from chinese market?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

There are cheaper solutions available from Maplins,but they won't do everything for you.Guess it depends how computer-savvy you are!

I'm Alex.

I am using Squeezebox SB3 with Beresford 7520 using a Qnap TS109 II NAS and getting great results streaming FLAC files using wired ethernet

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    There are cheaper solutions available from Maplins,but they won't do everything for you.Guess it depends how computer-savvy you are!
    Yep your right i want to have my cake and eat at the same time.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I know several people who are happy with qnap.I believe Stan uses a media player from Maplins and is happy with it.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by maxrob200 View Post
    I am using Squeezebox SB3 with Beresford 7520 using a Qnap TS109 II NAS and getting great results streaming FLAC files using wired ethernet
    Thanks. I will have a problem using wired ethernet as i have the office some 15 meters away where my pc set up is. gather it is best to use ethernet instead of wireless but i have no way of getting a cable from one room to the other. i suppose i could use an access point in the lounge for the sb3 but have no idea about doing this in practice.
    I think i like the idea more of a hard disk juke box player that will be connected to the stereo system in the lounge . perhaps if i settle for mp3 file playback i will have more options?

o.k surfing around i have come across this item up for consideration :-
    http://www.tradestead.com/wholesale/...er-p-4012.html
    it has connections for a tv so i would be able to connect to the lcd tv to look at the songs to pick aswell. Seems like a good price too. I 'll do some more research on it ..........
    Last edited by kalozois100; 03-05-2009 at 13:28.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast