+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nottingham Analogue Interspace Turntable & Arm - Review & blog

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Re-reading this, I am completely confused. (Or else it's just too early in the morning!).

The problem, as it seems to me, is that I don't have enough mass at the headshell end to balance the counterweight. So adding more mass to the counterweight will make the problem even worse. No?
    Jerry your right,the only excuse i can give is i had been up all night!!
    it seems like you have a heavy balance weight.So my suggestion was totally wrong,so more mass at the headshell as you suggest is right,and try dropping the arm down 1cm,on the arm pillar and tell me what you think.
    steve

I'm Dave.

The counterweight carrier is way too forward, so move it back 0.3 inch or so. The tracking pressure is applied by sliding the brass counterweight forwards or back in it's carrier and the carrier moved for coarse pressure changes.

The c/weight carrier is also rotatable around the shaft to allow lateral balancing of the arm. Ideally, if the turntable is level, the shaft should be vertical but a slight tilt to left or right is OK. This will dramatically affect bias.

Next thing is ditch the mat and use the record on the platter as intended but remember to adjust the arm height accordingly.

Enjoy.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

See, I told you guys that HiFi Dave would know what to do............
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm gone.

Thanks Dave(s)

Yup, the c/w is now significantly back from the pivot and my new(ish) Ortofon Rondo Bronze cart is installed and singing its heart out. Very nice indeed now. Very pleased. No longer obsessing about the NA Sound - just trying to decide which of my LPs to play next!

Re: the mat. It's a Living Voice Mystic Mat (circa £200?) and seems to be glued to the platter. So I guess it stays! Too difficult/messy to prize it off if I wanted to? Anyway, tt as a whole sounds fine.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

A £200 mat stuck to the platter? The supplying dealer didn't describe the philosophy properly..........

Not that there's anything wrong with a Mystic Mat (apart from the price), but you understand wot I mean guv?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    A £200 mat stuck to the platter?
    Well, it's there - and I'm stuck with it! Sounds fine, but I do hanker a bit for a valve phono stage, the WhestTWO I have is very much a solid state device!

I bet you wish you had kept hold of that lovely EAR 802 you had now Jerry?
    Nick.

I'm gone.

Hmmm ... yeah. I am now quite curious about the MC stage in the EAR 802! - but I didn't have a tt then.

Ah well. So it goes.

I'm Dave.

Shame about the mat, the turntable would sound better without but you are unlikely to remove it without damage unless it's been spot glued with something not too strong.

The 802 pre's phono stage was pretty good - not as good as an 834p but better than a lot of phono stages on the market. Why not look out for an 834p, preferably one in original condition and not 'improved'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12