View Poll Results: Should I get rid of my TV?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get rid of it

21 29.58%
  • Best keep it, just in case

18 25.35%
  • I don't have a TV and I don't miss it at all

14 19.72%
  • I don't have a TV, but I do miss it sometimes

2 2.82%
  • I would love to get rid of it, but the wife would kill me!

7 9.86%
  • I do have a TV and wouldn't be without one

13 18.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Should I get rid of my TV?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ive not had one yet.
    I suppose one replies to the renewal email and says you no longer need one.
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    I suppose one replies to the renewal email and says you no longer need one.
    I phoned them and enquired about not needing one etc. they asked me a few questions and said i didnt need one and would sort it their end. Ive not heard from them since
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm joe.

We were TV-less for several years, until a couple of years ago when my elder daughter's then-boyfriend gave us his old TV as he was upgrading. I hardly watch it; any TV I see these days is via iPlayer on my laptop. I'm down to University Challenge and Have I Got News For You, plus the odd art/music programme on BBC4, and if I was told I could never watch TV ever again it wouldn't bother me. Sometimes I try a new drama series but inevitably stop watching it after an episode or two.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I know it's not for most people, being single it's easier for me to do what works best for me. I'm sure if I had a wife/kids, I'd never get away with it - probably wouldn't want to either. If I was into football it would be an issue too. I go to the local when a good rugby game is on, more fun with a crowd and a pint. I love going to the movies as you know and where most people would watch TV for entertainment most days, I go to the cinema instead and as I walk most of the way, or use a bus/train, then it gets me off my arse and out the house. Easy for me I know, it's only 4 miles away and it's a great 15 screen theatre. I also read a lot, go to live gigs and theatre, then listen to music the rest of the time, so I don't actually have time for it.

I guess it's a habit I've just got out of through circumstance and I've found I don't miss it. Of course if I ever lost mobility and was less able to get out and about, then I'd probably get one, if only to watch films.

Not a problem, mate. We have different interests and lifestyles. Even if I were single, I'd still want a TV, for precisely the same stated reasons. Del's TV usage doesn't come into it, as married or single, I'd still be 'me'!

Totally get watching sport in a pub, whilst enjoying a few beers, especially with others who are 'like minded', preferably friends. It's a good vibe

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    We were TV-less for several years, until a couple of years ago when my elder daughter's then-boyfriend gave us his old TV as he was upgrading. I hardly watch it; any TV I see these days is via iPlayer on my laptop. I'm down to University Challenge and Have I Got News For You, plus the odd art/music programme on BBC4, and if I was told I could never watch TV ever again it wouldn't bother me. Sometimes I try a new drama series but inevitably stop watching it after an episode or two.
    All these fussy fuckers, eh?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    All these fussy fuckers, eh?

Marco.
    Dramas are either adaptations of 'classics' (like the current dramatisation of 'War of the Worlds'), where they monkey around with the plot, introduce extra characters, and drag in some ahistorical politically-correct stuff, or, if they're 'new' drama series, they pile on the blood and gore, which I can't watch. I've never been a huge fan of television anyway, and I don't keep harping back to some supposed Golden Age of Television, because TV was just as shite back then, but for different reasons. I had to watch it back then, at least in the winter, because the TV was in the only room in the house that was actually warm!

Lol - I just chuckle, Joe, because we're *so* different!

I'm not a big reader, so chances are that any of the dramas you're referring to I won't have read 'first time round' (or seen in some other format), so have nothing really to judge them against. Plus, I tend not to scrutinise things that deeply... As long as there's some good 'action' and I'm kept entertained, I'm happy

So, among other dramas, I'm loving War of the Worlds, World on Fire, The Dublin Murders, and most recently, His Dark Materials: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b1v2

There so many shows I enjoy watching on TV that it would take me ages listing them all... Looking forward to watching The Repair Shop, which is on BBC1 shortly, followed by Flog It (anything involving antiques is of great interest), and later on, The Walking Dead, which is currently one of my (and Del's) favourite programmes!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    All those murder things are essentially the same story. I avoid any TV show that is about a murder mystery and anything set in a hospital. The only problem with that is it means there are no drama shows that I watch anymore as they are all one or the other. And don't get me started on that Scandanavian crap that seems to be all the rage now. Like watching paint dry.

Even though I've got all the channels it gets harder and harder to find anything worth watching. I don't like any of the new shows and all the old stuff I've seen a dozen times.

Documentries are most of my watching but the new series of 'Ancient Aliens' is just re-treading old ground. And whilst Hitler, WW2 and the Nazis is a big topic to cover I get the feeling that even that is almost exhausted.

So might get rid myself if it doesn't pick up in the next 6 months.
    Jamie Theakstone trying to find the Holy Grail or eek out a bit more about how the Nazis were inventing flying bells/saucers .. I expect most of it is probably bollocks!!!

However I do like Impossible Engineering World War Wierd and stuff like that !
    The only problem is my knowledge of Tenna pants , simplicity funerals and dating for over 50,s is extensive ,and my son says the demographic Dad relates to you

Mind you , my Bargain Hunt , Antique Road Trip viewing is extensive too. If not for glimpses of Roo, or that Kate Southern in her tight trousers
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - I just chuckle, Joe, because we're *so* different!

I'm not a big reader, so chances are that any of the dramas you're referring to I won't have read 'first time round' (or seen in some other format), so have nothing really to judge them against. Plus, I tend not to scrutinise things that deeply... As long as there's some good 'action' and I'm kept entertained, I'm happy

So, among other dramas, I'm loving War of the Worlds, World on Fire, The Dublin Murders, and most recently, His Dark Materials: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b1v2

There so many shows I enjoy watching on TV that it would take me ages listing them all... Looking forward to watching The Repair Shop, which is on BBC1 shortly, followed by Flog It (anything involving antiques is of great interest), and later on, The Walking Dead, which is currently one of my (and Del's) favourite programmes!

Marco.
    +1 to the "Repair Shop". I'm totally addicted to it. "Flog it" is not bad, but I prefer "Bargain Hunt".

Regarding TV presentations of "classics" - all of them deviate to some extent from the books, as do film adaptations for the cinema. Some are better than
    others and with the most of recent TV adaptations, the production values are very good - they look good, thus: "The Name of the Rose"; "The War of the Worlds" and "His Dark Materials" (although I didn't really enjoy reading Pullman's trilogy).
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

I've made a point of not watching 'The Name of The Rose' series. I think it would be disappointing after the superb 1986 movie and the novel by Umberto Eco, of which I still keep a copy.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast