View Poll Results: Should I get rid of my TV?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get rid of it

21 29.58%
  • Best keep it, just in case

18 25.35%
  • I don't have a TV and I don't miss it at all

14 19.72%
  • I don't have a TV, but I do miss it sometimes

2 2.82%
  • I would love to get rid of it, but the wife would kill me!

7 9.86%
  • I do have a TV and wouldn't be without one

13 18.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I get rid of my TV?

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post

Must admit I've been struggling with Hidden since three episodes in the pace feels slow, I'll persevere though.

Pete
    Well, I’ve clawed my way to the end of episode 4 of Hidden. On the upside it was easy to remember the plot after not watching for a few weeks since not much has happened so far (The Bridge it ain’t). Unfortunately it has become even harder work than previously, like inching up the south face of Annapurna by tooth and nail. Every moment is now taking a huge effort to hang in there. It’s just so slow…

I’ve challenged myself to appreciate that it’s about atmosphere and realism, and that too much modern film and TV spoon feeds pace and action. But whole minutes of Hidden eke out mundanity and as if to test me further episode 4 pushed this to the maximum. Someone opens a door, they walk into a room, they walk to the end of it, they stop and they sigh. So what ? It’s painful Mrs C bailed out midway so I’m on my own now.

The characters, while shuffling pointlessly around, don’t develop unlike say in Broadchurch. They don’t do anything that alters your understanding of or empathy towards them. My fascination with Dylan’s Inspiral Carpets haircut wore off some time ago. Little new plot or information emerges.

It seems to me that there are two kinds of crime drama. The “whodunnit”, where the story has the advantage of covering twists and turns in identifying the culprit, or, those where the culprit is known early on. The latter have to meet the challenge of retaining interest. The Fall was like that and the culprit had a family, job and local community to interact with, as well as cat-and-mouse with the police. Great thriller. However with his victim unconscious, Dylan in Hidden had almost nothing to interact with in episode 4 apart from his truck and his grumpy mother. It was a brave decision (I think I’m being kind here) by Hidden’s writers to get the two of them to sustain most of the hour when neither can manage more than a sentence, a long stare and chopping some wood.

I’m torn now since I’ve spent 4 hours of my life on it - does episode 5 leap forward ? Watching it is like being stuck in a hut in a drizzly forest with nothing to do. Or is that the point ?

All merely my humble opinion

Pete

I'm Grant.

finally got rid of tv licence. since my last thought on it ive watched tv approximately 0 times... so its gone. lets hope it goes smoothly
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

All those murder things are essentially the same story. I avoid any TV show that is about a murder mystery and anything set in a hospital. The only problem with that is it means there are no drama shows that I watch anymore as they are all one or the other. And don't get me started on that Scandanavian crap that seems to be all the rage now. Like watching paint dry.

Even though I've got all the channels it gets harder and harder to find anything worth watching. I don't like any of the new shows and all the old stuff I've seen a dozen times.

Documentries are most of my watching but the new series of 'Ancient Aliens' is just re-treading old ground. And whilst Hitler, WW2 and the Nazis is a big topic to cover I get the feeling that even that is almost exhausted.

So might get rid myself if it doesn't pick up in the next 6 months.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    Well, I’ve clawed my way to the end of episode 4 of Hidden. On the upside it was easy to remember the plot after not watching for a few weeks since not much has happened so far (The Bridge it ain’t). Unfortunately it has become even harder work than previously, like inching up the south face of Annapurna by tooth and nail. Every moment is now taking a huge effort to hang in there. It’s just so slow…

I’ve challenged myself to appreciate that it’s about atmosphere and realism, and that too much modern film and TV spoon feeds pace and action. But whole minutes of Hidden eke out mundanity and as if to test me further episode 4 pushed this to the maximum. Someone opens a door, they walk into a room, they walk to the end of it, they stop and they sigh. So what ? It’s painful Mrs C bailed out midway so I’m on my own now.

The characters, while shuffling pointlessly around, don’t develop unlike say in Broadchurch. They don’t do anything that alters your understanding of or empathy towards them. My fascination with Dylan’s Inspiral Carpets haircut wore off some time ago. Little new plot or information emerges.

It seems to me that there are two kinds of crime drama. The “whodunnit”, where the story has the advantage of covering twists and turns in identifying the culprit, or, those where the culprit is known early on. The latter have to meet the challenge of retaining interest. The Fall was like that and the culprit had a family, job and local community to interact with, as well as cat-and-mouse with the police. Great thriller. However with his victim unconscious, Dylan in Hidden had almost nothing to interact with in episode 4 apart from his truck and his grumpy mother. It was a brave decision (I think I’m being kind here) by Hidden’s writers to get the two of them to sustain most of the hour when neither can manage more than a sentence, a long stare and chopping some wood.

I’m torn now since I’ve spent 4 hours of my life on it - does episode 5 leap forward ? Watching it is like being stuck in a hut in a drizzly forest with nothing to do. Or is that the point ?

All merely my humble opinion

Pete
    My main motivation there was Gillian Anderson.

She looked fabulous and her acting was very good as well.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

She was my dad's favourite.

No longer at the height of her powers, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    finally got rid of tv licence. since my last thought on it ive watched tv approximately 0 times... so its gone. lets hope it goes smoothly
    Netflix, Netflix, Netflix

havent looked back since getting rid of mine.
    Broadcast stuff you think you’ll maybe miss, (my case F1) theres ways to get it. (No, dont mean Pirate Bay)
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Netflix, Netflix, Netflix

havent looked back since getting rid of mine.
    Broadcast stuff you think you’ll maybe miss, (my case F1) theres ways to get it. (No, dont mean Pirate Bay)
    Not missed it yet gaz... more use of netflix, and amazon which i have, and my apple library that has a good few films in it. Plus all my dvds and bluray...been rewatching my Simpson boxsets this week.
    Plus more time for music... spending too much time alas in bed these days.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

You say that like lying in bed is a bad thing...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Just thought I'd pop back in this thread to confirm I still don't own a television. I'm apparently one of the 5% of UK households who don't have one.

I quite like being one of the minority
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Just thought I'd pop back in this thread to confirm I still don't own a television. I'm apparently one of the 5% of UK households who don't have one.

I quite like being one of the minority
    Well i have them but no arial etc..
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast