View Poll Results: Should I get rid of my TV?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get rid of it

21 29.58%
  • Best keep it, just in case

18 25.35%
  • I don't have a TV and I don't miss it at all

14 19.72%
  • I don't have a TV, but I do miss it sometimes

2 2.82%
  • I would love to get rid of it, but the wife would kill me!

7 9.86%
  • I do have a TV and wouldn't be without one

13 18.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I get rid of my TV?

montesquieu Guest

I haven't had a TV for about 14 years. I lived without one for much of the 80s and early 90s when I was a daily newspaper journalist working shifts and never in in the evening, then I moved to New Zealand for several years through to the mid 90s and never bought a TV either. So I got used to it.

When I lived in New Zealand I used to go to a mate's house to watch Star Trek: TNG, and Star Trek (Voyager and DS9) was about the only thing I watched when I did have a TV through the late 90s and early 00s, which was mainly used to entertain the kids when they were small.

I see no need for a TV - I have a few web and magazine subscriptions, I read a lot of books, and my evenings are largely spent cooking, eating or listening to music.

Occasionally I join up one of the streaming services if there's something I want to binge-watch on the laptop. (Did that with Game of Thrones last year). In reality the only time I miss TV is on election night.

I don't go much to movies either - the only time I ever see them is on regular long haul flights to Asia. I had an ex who used to drag me to horror movies and 30 years later I still get sweaty palms going into cinemas (my body anticipating some gory shocker even if it's only Mission Impossible).

The down side is huge distraction if I'm anywhere there's a screen with something on, my attention gets sucked into it as it's an unusual thing for me, I'm also extremely intolerant to random/ambient crap music which I suspect people get de-sensitised to if they watch much TV.

EDIT bloody hell this is a thread resurrection and a half!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I read a lot of books, and my evenings are largely spent cooking, eating or listening to music.
    Nice one. Well, we'd like to hear more about what you've been cooking, or listening to, on the respective food ['What's for lunch or tea today?'] and music threads

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inactive.

My wife works a 3 shift rota but when the time is right we like to watch a lot of TV drama together (just finished the BBC Wales series 'Hidden' - totally gripping and superb acting) and also catch quite a few comedy shows, so doing without a reasonable sized screen is not really an option - we find a 32 inch more than enough for comfortable viewing. Also use Apple TV occasionally to screen mirror stuff we've come across online.

If my wife is at work I rarely watch TV but did get hooked on 'Antiques Road Show' and 'Homes Under the Hammer' for a while after I retired (particularly during the Winter months...)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    My wife works a 3 shift rota but when the time is right we like to watch a lot of TV drama together (just finished the BBC Wales series 'Hidden' - totally gripping and superb acting) and also catch quite a few comedy shows, so doing without a reasonable sized screen is not really an option - we find a 32 inch more than enough for comfortable viewing. Also use Apple TV occasionally to screen mirror stuff we've come across online.

If my wife is at work I rarely watch TV but did get hooked on 'Antiques Road Show' and 'Homes Under the Hammer' for a while after I retired (particularly during the Winter months...)
    Hiddem was quite brilliant and wonderfully acted.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

After starting a family I found that I rarely had control of the TV and after a while I didn't really miss it. It meant that I had more time for other stuff. iPlayer etc show the high quality series anyway (The Bridge, The Fall, Broadchurch kind of things).

Must admit I've been struggling with Hidden since three episodes in the pace feels slow, I'll persevere though.

Pete

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    The plight of becoming non selective TV watcher is something to avoid IMO; it wastes time and results in adverse personal psychological programming.

Very good point this. Whilst I like my telly a lot I always tape everything I want to watch in advance so I can fast-forward the adverts. And I never watch the news or current affairs programmes. Mostly I watch 'proper telly' from the 1970s and early 1980s when shows were solely intended to be entertaining and not thinly disguised vehicles for brainwashing re gender/cultural/social issues.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Buy a little computer, like a Raspberry Pi and set the TV up so it just shows a rolling update of of the AOS What’s New webpage...
    ~Paul~

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Very good point this. Whilst I like my telly a lot I always tape everything I want to watch in advance so I can fast-forward the adverts. And I never watch the news or current affairs programmes. Mostly I watch 'proper telly' from the 1970s and early 1980s when shows were solely intended to be entertaining and not thinly disguised vehicles for brainwashing re gender/cultural/social issues.
    Hear, hear!

Although I can't help sniggering at "tape". We've been here before

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Got rid of my "broadcast TV" a couple of years ago when I realized that realistically I was watching maybe 5% of what I was paying for.
    Why am I giving money away every month says I?
    The idea of coming in from work, slumping down on the couch and turning on the idiot box and switching my brain off...naa.

Kept my TV and associated kit, just got rid of Virgin Media and never looked back.
    Netflix, YouTube and a whole universe of online stuff...watch what you want when it suits you, and spend the money on Blurays.

Works for me.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    The idea of coming in from work, slumping down on the couch and turning on the idiot box and switching my brain off...naa.

)
    I don't do that every night but I do like to be able to do it. My brain sometimes needs switching off after a day at work.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast