View Poll Results: Should I get rid of my TV?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get rid of it

21 29.58%
  • Best keep it, just in case

18 25.35%
  • I don't have a TV and I don't miss it at all

14 19.72%
  • I don't have a TV, but I do miss it sometimes

2 2.82%
  • I would love to get rid of it, but the wife would kill me!

7 9.86%
  • I do have a TV and wouldn't be without one

13 18.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I get rid of my TV?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't do that every night but I do like to be able to do it. My brain sometimes needs switching off after a day at work.
    I hear ya.

used to kinda lose myself in it.
    Before I knew it hours had passed!

Probably not disciplined enough to resist...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Got rid of my "broadcast TV" a couple of years ago when I realized that realistically I was watching maybe 5% of what I was paying for.
    Why am I giving money away every month says I?
    The idea of coming in from work, slumping down on the couch and turning on the idiot box and switching my brain off...naa.

Kept my TV and associated kit, just got rid of Virgin Media and never looked back.
    Netflix, YouTube and a whole universe of online stuff...watch what you want when it suits you, and spend the money on Blurays.

Works for me...
    And would work for most folk who had no interest in watching live sports and/or following certain continued dramas, broadcast on certain TV channels, and sometimes wishes to record them (if they're out) onto a set-top box, such as is available from the likes of Virgin and Sky.

Unfortunately, as that's the case, what works for you doesn't work for me

In terms of TV, I watch it much more to be entertained, than educated (or 'intellectually taxed'), so that's why some mindless 'disposable froth', after a hard day at work, or in my case, just simply because that's what hits the spot, is what is desirable.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Still toying with the idea. its expensive the licence, for all i watch it... almost always use my own stuff or netflix etc at night. i often have the yesterday channel on for company during day, but mostly could do without i think.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Of course, different strokes different folks...
    Wisnae saying otherwise

Big Live Sport events I tend to watch in the Pub anyways, dont miss F1 on C4 to be honest, though might get the Sky Sports F1 Add on for next season as it seems to be picking up again.
    Be different too if the spawn hadn't grown up and moved out.
    Just depends on your own circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    And would work for most folk who had no interest in watching live sports and/or following certain continued dramas, broadcast on certain TV channels, and sometimes wishes to record them (if they're out) onto a set-top box, such as is available from the likes of Virgin and Sky.

Unfortunately, as that's the case, what works for you doesn't work for me

In terms of TV, I watch it much more to be entertained, than educated (or 'intellectually taxed'), so that's why some mindless 'disposable froth', after a hard day at work, or in my case, just simply because that's what hits the spot, is what is desirable.

Marco.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Of course, different strokes different folks...
    Wisnae saying otherwise

Big Live Sport events I tend to watch in the Pub anyways, dont miss F1 on C4 to be honest, though might get the Sky Sports F1 Add on for next season as it seems to be picking up again.
    Be different too if the spawn hadn't grown up and moved out.
    Just depends on your own circumstances.
    Yups, no worries, muchacho. In terms of lives sports, and it's mainly SPL footy and Celtic games I'm interested in, I'm sure you can appreciate why I'd feel safer and more comfortable watching it at home, than in a pub, certainly in Glasgow!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

You utter Wuss!

Buy...yeah, your right.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

Lol - I've been in plenty of Celtic and Rangers pubs in the past, and enjoyed a bit of banter with the reasonable Rangers supporters, but I don't really miss that down here, and in general I prefer putting my feet up in the comfort of my own home, with a beer, whilst watching the footy, then being sat in a noisy pub

Marco.
    Main System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Still toying with the idea. its expensive the licence, for all i watch it... almost always use my own stuff or netflix etc at night. i often have the yesterday channel on for company during day, but mostly could do without i think.
    You still pay for TV whether you watch it or not, or even own a TV.
    Barry

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You still pay for TV whether you watch it or not, or even own a TV.
    That's not the case any more Barry, used to be, but the rules have changed over the years. The licence used to apply to just owning the equipment, now it relates to the use of said equipment. You can own and watch anything you like on a TV without a licence, such as Netflix, DVDs, media files, on demand services and so on, as long as it's not broadcast programming (any channel) that you watch at the time of broadcast, or record to watch later. You also need a licence for the iPlayer now, which you didn't a few years ago.

"You need to be covered by a licence to watch or download almost all BBC programmes on iPlayer. At the moment, there are just a few exceptions – watching S4C TV on demand, listening to radio, and watching films or TV shows you’ve bought on the BBC Store. There may be other exceptions in the future.

Remember, you also need a TV Licence to watch or record any live TV programmes on any channel, no matter what device you use"

Do I need a TV Licence for all on demand programmes?

No. You don’t need a licence if you only ever watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer* (and you also never watch live TV programmes on any channel, including on iPlayer).
    You don’t need to be covered by a licence to watch any films or TV shows that you buy online.
    *You don’t need a licence to watch S4C TV on demand or listen to radio on iPlayer. You also don’t need one to watch films or TV shows on iPlayer that you’ve bought on the BBC Store.
    Source

They also have to prove you have been watching broadcast TV, either by physically seeing/hearing it occur and then confirm by entry, with a warrant if you refuse entry.

So just owning a TV these days does not require a licence.

Funny . . . your comment about the Radio Times? I used to do exactly the same, read through and then circle what I wanted to watch. I even had one of those leather Radio Times covers! What a daftee Marco is, on-line programming guides indeed - and him the lover of all things vintage
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...and enjoyed a bit of banter with the reasonable Rangers supporters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast