+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite DAC?

I'm Neal.

Thanks for the explanation Stan, Ali's OBs can shift a serious amount of air and are not your 'normal' domestic 'speaker!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I've got the Analogue to Digital version of that DAC, not bad but it needs a better PS. It has a buzzzz that I think is the switch mode supply
    Do you have details, Rob? I need a cheap ADC and was wondering what to buy.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Are we talking about a BM here, and if so, do you have two or more active digital sources plugged into the BM at any one time? If so the BM won't buy it, you will need to switch off all sources other than the one you are listening to. The control circuitry gets confused when it is seeing two or more active sources which can spurn some odd behaviour.
    Not getting that here, Dave, never have. At least two of my three inputs are active at a time.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Not getting that here, Dave, never have. At least two of my three inputs are active at a time.
    I did make it clear that mine was an early model Martin, Stan may have sorted this now. I'm not sure if Grant's issue is the same as I experienced but there do seem to be some similarities which is why I threw it out there

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    For the money paid you can't beat Stan's Dacs's for sound quality.
    Had a few of the over the years, best you can buy for the asking price.
    absolutely ! I have had following in my chain: Rega, Micromega, Pioneer N-50, BM7350. They all sounded good to me over digital optical link. I still have the N-50 and the BM in two separate systems. The BM is unbeatable at that price and comes with a direct "communication link" to the designer himself.

I did make it clear that mine was an early model Martin, Stan may have sorted this now. I'm not sure if Grant's issue is the same as I experienced but there do seem to be some similarities which is why I threw it out there
    I have read numerous times about your BM and the comments about early model thing etc. But as I understand it, it was a BM that you borrowed from someone else and that you have since returned it to the legal owner. So it was not actually yours. The owner of the DAC has categorically stated to me that he has no had any such issues after checking the DAC out after he received it back.
    So I am not quite clear what is the truth and what isn't. Especially since you have repeated the same thing over and over again in several threads.

Maybe BM owners can shed some light on these claims by checking the operation of their DAC and letting me know if they have the same issue or not. Let me know by email and include your purchase info. I can then work out if it is an early production issue or something else.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    absolutely ! I have had following in my chain: Rega, Micromega, Pioneer N-50, BM7350. They all sounded good to me over digital optical link. I still have the N-50 and the BM in two separate systems. The BM is unbeatable at that price and comes with a direct "communication link" to the designer himself.
    That direct communication is a big factor in getting peace of mind when you buy.
    For a lot of folk this is worth factoring in.
    Had the Rega and a Caiman which I modded the guts out of.
    Preferred the Rega in my system though, but the Caiman was a good'un.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 29-07-2013 at 11:07.

I'm alan.

I have two active inputs on my BM and have never had a problem,i just select which source i want to listen to.Works perfectly every time.
    Revox B795,NVA Phono 1,Teac PD H500C,SB Touch,Mark Grant Linear PSU,Bushmaster MkII,NVA AP70,IPL LS3TLM.Royd Minstrels.

synsei Guest

I can only report what I experienced Stan and only posted as Grant seemed to be experiencing a similar issue. I would have done the same for any product. Had it worked properly I would still be using it, for as I have reported on here more than once, apart from this issue the BM did sound good. Also, I received the unit with the intention of buying it and the member concerned was more than happy for me to try the BM in my system for a couple of weeks before he wanted any money for it. I don't appreciate your implication that I was taking the piss, as you offered support when I asked for it and the member concerned was happy for me to do so. I also asked if you were comfortable dealing with me or whether you would rather I sent the unit back to the member concerned, who incidentally was not the original purchaser either. I hope that clears up any confusion

I don't appreciate your implication that I was taking the piss, as you offered support when I asked for it and the member concerned was happy for me to do so.
    I am not interested in what you appreciate or what you assume I imply. That's not my problem. What I do however expect is that you do not give a false impression to those reading your comments and who assume it to be an honest factual description. At least you have clarified this time round that the DAC was not yours. It's irrelevant if you intended to buy it or not. Let's just stick to the facts as you have been reporting them several times.

I have never had problems handling technical queries from anyone who is in the possession of a product of mine, irrespective if it was bought or borrowed. I only refuse to help if it was stolen.

Coming to the point of your statement where you wrote:
    If so the BM won't buy it, you will need to switch off all sources other than the one you are listening to. The control circuitry gets confused when it is seeing two or more active sources which can spurn some odd behaviour.
    This is what you reported here that you experienced with the DAC that you borrowed. However you are clearly implying that this is affecting every Bushmaster even though you only experienced this on one DAC that you tried. The actual owner of the DAC did not have a similar experience. So what exactly is it that you don't appreciate that I am implying? That I had to eventually come out and challenge you with regards to what you wrote? Surely you did not expect me to let it pass unnoticed.

I do recall that you asked me to swap the DAC over for you for a new one. But since it was not your DAC to swap over in the first place, I didn't quite understand how that was supposed to work. Imagine borrowing something from someone and then doing an exchange of it with someone else. Surely few if any would accept such behaviour with something they lent to someone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast