+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite DAC?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    They’re are on discount just now too, €450 instead of €600
    Yes - and the good thing is that you can try the ISO-DAC out for yourself over 30 days - if you're not happy that it doesn't walk all over your current favourite DAC - just send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    Yes - and the good thing is that you can try the ISO-DAC out for yourself over 30 days - if you're not happy that it doesn't walk all over your current favourite DAC - just send it back.
    Forum members have been able to take up that offer on my DACs for years now. Glad to see that other sellers have seen the sense behind that.

I'm Luis.

I got the topping D30.

Wont comment for now...

Enviado do meu HTC_M10h através do Tapatalk

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by SantanaCorreia View Post
    I got the topping D30.

Wont comment for now...

Now you've had it for a while what are your thoughts?
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm John.

I have as of Friday 31/08/18, become the owner of my first ever owned standalone DAC.
    I have only been listening to CD in a HiFi system since January 2017.
    The following was all prompted by my wife, who after accompanying me to HiFi Fanatics friends home during the Xmas Break in 2016, demanded she was given her HiFi system put back into service.
    Since January 2017, I have been re-assembling our System, after a Too Long Absence from enjoying the system set up and functioning.
    To date, this time period has also encouraged me to engage in HiFi in a way that was not commonly available when I was active in the past, most time spent with HiFi outside of the home, was at Events/Shows or Dealers, with occasional visits to or from friends, with shared interest.
    During 2017/18 forums activity and social events organised by forums, have been a effective fuel to my enthusiasm. I have put a few miles on the vehicle taking part.
    I listened to CD on my system in January 2017 only because I was unsure of how to set up the vinyl to its best, "that problem still remains" and the CD option was viewed as more simple to achieve.
    My Son's Cambridge Azur 540C was confiscated from his bedroom, the CD's both he and my daughter had as well as the cars collection were gathered and music was once more filling our living room from our long time stored system.
    As for analytical review, we had music. "Hoo Rah".
    My friend who is responsible for my wife's size 7 boot up my backside, in relation to reassembling the system,
    is also a CD Player Modification Expert, he has done wonders with valve mods in ways that far excel the usual tube output stages. Over the last few years, he has fine tuned his works, to a finesse, that I can say to my ears is a reference, I have heard tweaked variations of these works with boutique components installed.
    At the end of a recent loan period of a Modified CD Player, it was agreed that before it leaves my home, it would be listened to on my system by its owner, and A/B trialed against a Vinyl Set Up.
    The comparisons were easy to control due to the Slagle AVC and the Alicia Keys CD/Vinyl were a very close volume match. These were not the only Albums used.
    The only thing that was a obvious unequal part to the set up were we did not have enough of one type of interconnects to allow for both sources to be matched with IC Cables.
    The result was for me great, all of my friends hard work had paid off, and the differences between the CD/Vinyl were very hard to differentiate with a negative response, and if any source was listened to as a only source, there would not be any feeling of a need to exchange back to the other.
    Slight differences in depth of Bass notes, vocal projection were the only immediate differences when volume was matched, not any shaming the other into a defeat. The CDP owner was commenting on a slight variation in Soundstaging, with the CDP feeling a little wider and the Vinyl feeling a little deeper.
    Since this time a option came up on a DAC, it is a imported model and has undergone modifications, by the designer, who has advised on my friends CDP Modifications. It has two valve regulated Power Supplies, a valve output stage and some mod's done to the chips.
    I picked it up from my friends who had extensively trialed it against his Modded CDP's, he had pre-informed me I was going to be surprised at how good it performs.
    I heard it attached to a unmodded Arcam CD73 and it sounded to me very organic and involving and I settled into the replay in a very relaxed mind.
    I then heard it with a Sony CDP and it was more forward and brighter but still very impressive.
    My friend who has lived and breathed Modifying CDP's for may years, shared my thoughts that the CD73 worked excellently with the DAC. He also told me if he was not having his GM70 SE Amps built, I would not be buying this DAC. I take it he has found a worthy competitor for his Modded CDP's.
    I have been using it through Saturday attached to the Cambridge Azur 540C, it is very very good, I have two
    75 Ohm Digital Cables, One a very expensive pure silver design, produced by the DAC's Designer and one a
    Mapleshade Clearview Excaliber Plus. The system warmed up using the Silver Design Cable, and after about 4 hours, I was sure I had my ear into the Sound Quality. I swapped out the Silver IC for the Mapleshade.
    The effect of the Mapleshade was substantial, it produced more detail and smoothed the highs to a real not usually heard quality, I played with other interconnects between DAC/Preamp, and there effect on SQ was immediately picked up on.
    I then put the Silver IC between DAC/Preamp on one channel and this was superb, the whole presentation took on a different dimension for the better. After about 30 minutes I done the same cable sequence for the Mapleshade DAC/Preamp, putting the Silver IC back to the CDP/DAC position. This was not so appealing as the reversed method.
    As the above is all subjective, I have invited a friend over who has no experience with my system, but heard my amps at the Owston Meeting. He has a long history with HiFi and DIY Device Builds, Phonostages, Amps, DAC's and Speakers.
    If there is time, I will present all the cable comparisons and a CD vs Vinyl should be on the cards.
    I do believe my search for a DAC is on hold, it feels like for good at present, I feel very lucky to have been introduced to this DAC and given the purchase option.
    The Icing on the Cake is there is a small cardboard box supplied with the DAC, it contains a Modded Chip, that is claimed by the designer to be a further improvement to the one installed at present. It is not in place as the agreement was to let me listen to a non-upgraded model before I place the upgraded modded chip into the circuit.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I have as of Friday 31/08/18, become the owner of my first ever owned standalone DAC.
    I have only been listening to CD in a HiFi system since January 2017.
    The following was all prompted by my wife, who after accompanying me to HiFi Fanatics friends home during the Xmas Break in 2016, demanded she was given her HiFi system put back into service.
    Since January 2017, I have been re-assembling our System, after a Too Long Absence from enjoying the system set up and functioning.
    To date, this time period has also encouraged me to engage in HiFi in a way that was not commonly available when I was active in the past, most time spent with HiFi outside of the home, was at Events/Shows or Dealers, with occasional visits to or from friends, with shared interest.
    During 2017/18 forums activity and social events organised by forums, have been a effective fuel to my enthusiasm. I have put a few miles on the vehicle taking part.
    I listened to CD on my system in January 2017 only because I was unsure of how to set up the vinyl to its best, "that problem still remains" and the CD option was viewed as more simple to achieve.
    My Son's Cambridge Azur 540C was confiscated from his bedroom, the CD's both he and my daughter had as well as the cars collection were gathered and music was once more filling our living room from our long time stored system.
    As for analytical review, we had music. "Hoo Rah".
    My friend who is responsible for my wife's size 7 boot up my backside, in relation to reassembling the system,
    is also a CD Player Modification Expert, he has done wonders with valve mods in ways that far excel the usual tube output stages. Over the last few years, he has fine tuned his works, to a finesse, that I can say to my ears is a reference, I have heard tweaked variations of these works with boutique components installed.
    At the end of a recent loan period of a Modified CD Player, it was agreed that before it leaves my home, it would be listened to on my system by its owner, and A/B trialed against a Vinyl Set Up.
    The comparisons were easy to control due to the Slagle AVC and the Alicia Keys CD/Vinyl were a very close volume match. These were not the only Albums used.
    The only thing that was a obvious unequal part to the set up were we did not have enough of one type of interconnects to allow for both sources to be matched with IC Cables.
    The result was for me great, all of my friends hard work had paid off, and the differences between the CD/Vinyl were very hard to differentiate with a negative response, and if any source was listened to as a only source, there would not be any feeling of a need to exchange back to the other.
    Slight differences in depth of Bass notes, vocal projection were the only immediate differences when volume was matched, not any shaming the other into a defeat. The CDP owner was commenting on a slight variation in Soundstaging, with the CDP feeling a little wider and the Vinyl feeling a little deeper.
    Since this time a option came up on a DAC, it is a imported model and has undergone modifications, by the designer, who has advised on my friends CDP Modifications. It has two valve regulated Power Supplies, a valve output stage and some mod's done to the chips.
    I picked it up from my friends who had extensively trialed it against his Modded CDP's, he had pre-informed me I was going to be surprised at how good it performs.
    I heard it attached to a unmodded Arcam CD73 and it sounded to me very organic and involving and I settled into the replay in a very relaxed mind.
    I then heard it with a Sony CDP and it was more forward and brighter but still very impressive.
    My friend who has lived and breathed Modifying CDP's for may years, shared my thoughts that the CD73 worked excellently with the DAC. He also told me if he was not having his GM70 SE Amps built, I would not be buying this DAC. I take it he has found a worthy competitor for his Modded CDP's.
    I have been using it through Saturday attached to the Cambridge Azur 540C, it is very very good, I have two
    75 Ohm Digital Cables, One a very expensive pure silver design, produced by the DAC's Designer and one a
    Mapleshade Clearview Excaliber Plus. The system warmed up using the Silver Design Cable, and after about 4 hours, I was sure I had my ear into the Sound Quality. I swapped out the Silver IC for the Mapleshade.
    The effect of the Mapleshade was substantial, it produced more detail and smoothed the highs to a real not usually heard quality, I played with other interconnects between DAC/Preamp, and there effect on SQ was immediately picked up on.
    I then put the Silver IC between DAC/Preamp on one channel and this was superb, the whole presentation took on a different dimension for the better. After about 30 minutes I done the same cable sequence for the Mapleshade DAC/Preamp, putting the Silver IC back to the CDP/DAC position. This was not so appealing as the reversed method.
    As the above is all subjective, I have invited a friend over who has no experience with my system, but heard my amps at the Owston Meeting. He has a long history with HiFi and DIY Device Builds, Phonostages, Amps, DAC's and Speakers.
    If there is time, I will present all the cable comparisons and a CD vs Vinyl should be on the cards.
    I do believe my search for a DAC is on hold, it feels like for good at present, I feel very lucky to have been introduced to this DAC and given the purchase option.
    The Icing on the Cake is there is a small cardboard box supplied with the DAC, it contains a Modded Chip, that is claimed by the designer to be a further improvement to the one installed at present. It is not in place as the agreement was to let me listen to a non-upgraded model before I place the upgraded modded chip into the circuit.
    And who makes this mystical DAC?

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

The best DAC's I've listened to are the ones I'm using. Monarchy Audio M22B and M22C. Until I came across these, I was using Theta DAC's and thought they were amazing, but the Monarchy's blew them away!

I'm Grant.

Had a Monarchy dac too. was very decent unit, as was the A Alchemy one. but the XS-01A is imo better; but its really the presentation you like thats important.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    And who makes this mystical DAC?

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    It is a collaboration between two Designers works, one of Whom is the Designer of the VAS Valve MM Phonostage, the Designer who carried out the latest upgrades, the other is a Designer who I believe produced it, AND produces products that retail at silly prices. I don,t know the company name.
    I have it as a relabeled Brand, the Brand Logo I have on the front of it is Audio Pills.
    I am not sure if this is a repeatable model due to the history of it production.
    It will be a relevant presentation at a CD vs Vinyl Bake Off.
    Bear in mind, I am slowly converting to the merits of Digital replay, I,m not beating the drum for it, or attempting to even suggest I have a experience that is vast. I am 'just enjoying' the new found qualities it is has been offering my set up when used for a replay.
    If I was not so impressed with the mini Modded CDP vs Vinyl Bake Off on my system recently, I do not think I would have acted on this opportunity to purchase a DAC from similar design backgrounds.

I'm Luis.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    Now you've had it for a while what are your thoughts?
    It is very very good. I had several here at my house but this one is very musical. I like it a lot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast