Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
I'd get a XiangSheng DAC-01A.
Fit it with a Western Electric 396A valve and it's even better.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XiangShen...gAAOSwDPNa8AWz

I have owned all of the 3 you mention, and in my opinion the XiangSheng kicks them all into the long grass.
I've owned much more expensive DACs as well. The XS beats them all. In my opinion.

Another very strong contender (and currently in use in my system) is a SMSL M8 DAC. Fit it with a £50 (60 Euro) linear PSU and it's even better.

Some of the electronics coming out of China these days is scarily good and ridiculously low cost.

If you don't want to go the Chinese route then the Beresford SEG will also in my opinion better all of those you mention.
Did the M2TECH DAC have the linear power supply, Jerry?

I am stunned you think the XS is better. To me, the lower registers of the M2TECH were just completely better. Timbral quality was better, and the pure depth and clarity of the M2TECH beat the XS all ends up. Soundstage was bigger too.

Since the XS has had a Telefunken fitted and a "Fancy" mains cable, I will admit the gap is less now to probably "slightly" better.

What I would say is, but a XS for £100, send it to Firebottle for his mods (done in mine) put a Telefunken valve in (or whatever) put a "fancy" mains cabke on it and THEN it's a real contender and I always prefer a valve in the system. It is a very good DAC now.