+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite DAC?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    The Young seems to be one of those Marmite products - you either love it or hate it.
    Don't really understand why anyone would hate it. I didn't hate it, it just didn't offer anything additional over the DAC in the player being used as a transport. Possibly a better transport might have let it do its thing some more, I don't know, didn't try that.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

I'm Justin.

I heard Jerry's Young DAC in my system. I wasn't enamoured with it.

With a WE 396A in the Xiang I would say there's little point in going for anything else. It is such a good valve IMHO you'll be hard pressed to find anything better. That said there's no accounting for taste.
    "And it's lend me 10 and I'll buy you a drink. And mother wake me early in the morning."

I'm Luis.

Dear friends (allow me to call you that),

What do you think of these specs?

https://ibb.co/hTiq2y

I know specs are not the way to go, but certainly gives an idea.

I'm Wesley.

Recently obtained an Audio Analogue Vivace dac and have to admit to being rather impressed sonically at least. Bit cumbersome physically and in user friendliness but very musical presentation to my ears. Anyone else familiar with it?

I'm Clive.

Working on the fact that the 1000 ceiling was introduced 5 yrs ago, I would like to recommend the Chord Qutest dac at 1195. This dac is the best I’ve heard against the commonly mentioned MDac and MF etc. So much so that I put my wallet instead of my mouth into it and purchased this very small and unpretty box. Sound wise the Qutest out performs DACs at considerable more money with its neutrality and definition. Just my opinion of coarse.
    SOURCE:Auralic Aries G1, OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/Achromat/MN Bearing/Isonoes with Boots/Origin Live Encounter Mk3A/Ortofon Cadenza Black or Hana SL or AT33PTG/II. Whest Two.2 Phonostage.
    DAC: Chord Qutest, Chord Mojo/Poly
    AMPLIFIER:Bryston BP17-3 Pre & Bryston 4B3 Power
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7.
    HEADPHONES OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W C5 v2
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker - Chord Signature. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x2, Atlas Mavros Ultra, Chord Indigo Plus XLR.
    Digital: Atlas Mavros Ultra x2, Atlas USB, Chord Optichord.
    Mains: Chord Power Chord x2, SupraLoRad 1.5/MK/Wattgate x2, Black Rhodium Libra/MK/Shurter x2,IsoTek Orion 6 way, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Tristan.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    It does tie in with my view that the M2Tech DAC is nothing special.

But maybe not.

I think it depends on who is doing the listening!
    I love mine (it's the one I bought from you!). I remember telling you that I wasn't impressed that impressed with it initially. But, then it grew and grew and grew on me. I find it musical, non fatiguing, I like the upsampling. It is detailed but I don't find it fatiguing at all. I do use it with either a valve pre or a Stax valve headphone amp. I'm not sure I'd like it so much in an all solid state set up. I've only ever run it from a lithium battery and wouldn't fancy using it from the supplied cheap walwart.

I have got an itch at the moment to try something else, a valve dac appeals but I suspect I would be disappointed with the Xieng Sha (pleasantly disappointed but still). The Chord Hugo TT seems to be a giant killer but 2k for a pretty small improvement it is not sensible. If I was listening using my monoblocs and valve pre all the time an upgrade would be more rewarding, but via a Stax T6-001 it might well not show through.

I was very tempted by an older MBS platinum dac last week but managed to avoid temptation. By the time I'm using my monoblocs again a Chord Hugo TT will be about 500 and even Lampizators might be affordable.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by clap View Post
    I love mine (it's the one I bought from you!). I remember telling you that I wasn't impressed that impressed with it initially. But, then it grew and grew and grew on me. I find it musical, non fatiguing, I like the upsampling. It is detailed but I don't find it fatiguing at all. I do use it with either a valve pre or a Stax valve headphone amp. I'm not sure I'd like it so much in an all solid state set up. I've only ever run it from a lithium battery and wouldn't fancy using it from the supplied cheap walwart.

I have got an itch at the moment to try something else, a valve dac appeals but I suspect I would be disappointed with the Xieng Sha (pleasantly disappointed but still). The Chord Hugo TT seems to be a giant killer but 2k for a pretty small improvement it is not sensible. If I was listening using my monoblocs and valve pre all the time an upgrade would be more rewarding, but via a Stax T6-001 it might well not show through.

I was very tempted by an older MBS platinum dac last week but managed to avoid temptation. By the time I'm using my monoblocs again a Chord Hugo TT will be about 500 and even Lampizators might be affordable.
    Jolida Glass FX Tube Dac, but with some decent valves, not the originals.

I'm Tristan.

The T+A Dac 8 is tempting (but possibly not enough of an upgrade from a Young dac).

I heard a DCS cd player with a Nagra amp and Harbeth speakers at Scalford which sounded sublime.

I'm availableforweddingsAndBarmitzvas.

Loving my current dac, a PS Audio Directstream.
    More musical than a very musical thing, its good.

Free ongoing upgrades to the FPGA code, this one will see me out I think.
    Saw Jaws in 75 at the Cinema...
    Star Wars in 77
    Close Encounters in 77
    Superman in 78
    Raiders in 81

...Im doing the same thing with my Son (whos 24)
    Only now getting the wisdom of my Dad and Im 50 next birthday!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Don't really understand why anyone would hate it. I didn't hate it, it just didn't offer anything additional over the DAC in the player being used as a transport. Possibly a better transport might have let it do its thing some more, I don't know, didn't try that.
    Transports and the quality of the digital cable used, can make a massive difference.

Current DACs in use AMR DP777 and a Veracity Mystra. The Esoteric D5 I consider part of the Esoteric player (P5 Transport) but it is a stand alone in its own right. Only other DACs kicking around, unused at mine, are an MSB Link DAC and a Luxman DA100.
    Regards Neil

System 1 (Living Room) : Vinyl: AMG Giro Turntable, AMG 9W2 Tonearm, AMG Reference Armcable, Air Tight PC3 MC Cartridge PhonoStage: Passlabs Xono Digital: Esoteric P5 SACD Transport and Esoteric P 5 DAC, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Computer Audio: Veracity Audio Mystra DAC + HP laptop + iFi Audio i Power, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug Tuner:Revox B760 + Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth FM Amplifier Cassette Tape: Nakamichi CR5e Integrated Amplifier: Balanced Audio Technology VK300se Speakers: Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 Audio Cabling: Signal - Atlas Mavros, Audience AU24 Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mains Distribution: Mark Grant Distribution Blocks, Mark Grant DC Blocker Equipment Tables: Target Audio B series + Track Audio Isolation Spikes Isolation/ Platforms: Bright Star Audio Isonodes, BASE 01, SSC Platforms.

System 2 (Music Room) : Vinyl: Turntable 1 Loricraft Garrard 401 Turntable + SME 5 Tonearm, Graham IC70 Tonearm Cable + VDH MC10 cartridge Turntable 2 Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 Tonearm + VDH Frog Gold Cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU Turntable 3 SME Model 20 Turntable + Graham Phantom Tonearm + Graham IC70 Tonearm Cable, Ortofon MC5200 Cartridge PhonoStage: Balanced Audio Technology VK10se Digital: Moon Andromeda CD Player, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio Player Computer Audio: AMR DP777 DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi Audio i Power + JKenny JKSPIDIF + Wireworld Starlight USB Tuners: Kenwood 8300 Tuner, Revox B760 Tuner, Leak Troughline Tuner + EAR Stereo Decoder ReelToReel Tape: Revox B77 mk 2, Revox A77 mk3, Sony TC-377 Cassette Tape: Nakamichi DR10 Headphone: Audio Valve RKV2 OTL Valve Headphone Amp, Headphones Grado GS 1000, Sennheiser 560 Ovation2, Sennheiser 410SL Pre-Amplifier: Balanced Audio Technology VK52se Power-Amplifier: Music Reference RM200 mk1 Speakers: Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Audio Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Kimber KCAG, Audio Note ANVs, Barry Hunt Cables Speaker - XLO Type 6. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains Distribution: Mark Grant and Russ Andrews Equipment Tables: Clear Light Audio Aspekt Tacks Isolation/Platform: SSC, Bright Star Audio Isonodes, Naim Frame Record Cleaner: Hanns Audio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast