+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Still playing

I'm Nodrog.

Default Still playing

A while ago, I posted about finding a pair of White Van Man speakers to use for a project. I can't recal if I posted pictures of the change but here are a couple - from and to.

I have been using the 12" as an ABR whilst I sorted out the coils for bring it in at a very low crossover point. However, as that is proving troublesome, I decided just to wire it in parallel and see what happened. Hmmm...... most entertaining. I now had one 12" and one 8" together providing some real bass and with no apparent reduction in treble quality but an opening out of the midrange.

This morning its raining again so, sadly, I can't go and pick the rest of the redcurrents (). Instead, I removed the 8" from the crossover and just wired that in straight to the input as well. The T27 remains protected of course.

Lively is the word with real, deep, tuneful bass and a very open midrange. Listening to Take 5 was like being hit with the drumstick. As always, I remain wedded to the 57's but for a pair of bitsa speakers, I can imagine being able to live with these. That's a real surprise. Total cost of these was - £5 for naff pair of Ditton 15's (HF1300 used elsewhere), £10 for pair old pair of KEFs - (cant remember model) for T27s and free WVMs.

Fun don't have to cost a fortune.

I'm Geoff.

Bit like a 'working man's' KEF 104.

What's your crossover point for the bass/tweeter and what filter slopes are you using? Sounds like you're just using the natural roll-off on the bass unit. You could bring in the T27s with a single capacitor at around 4 kHz or above, as long as you're not using bags of power.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Bit like a 'working man's' KEF 104.

What's your crossover point for the bass/tweeter and what filter slopes are you using? Sounds like you're just using the natural roll-off on the bass unit. You could bring in the T27s with a single capacitor at around 4 kHz or above, as long as you're not using bags of power.
    Sounds good to me. I have inserted them into the main system to see just how good they are. The balance is a bit different and the Celestion 8" is not really suited to playing the whole frequency range so I've reconnected it to the crossover which is from a KEF Cantata. As you say, the 12" has a natural roll off and is fine just connected straight to the input.

I was listening last night and the wife, in the next room, asked me how I had got the Quads producing that much bass She was somewhat surprised to find it was the bitsas playing as it was all so musical. In the room, its obvious that they lack the purity of the 57s but they do rock.

I have no idea of the output of the OTL, I would have to check with Firebottle, but it is safe to say the listening to Bob Marley last night, the volume was adequate for the neighbours to say how much they enjoyed it. We have 800mm stone walls all round here

I'm a bit chuffed with these, the T27s seem smoother than I am used to in the KEF101s.

So I now have four pairs of speakers, three of which I could happily live with and one that I couldn't live without!

+ Reply to Thread