Closed Thread
Page 51 of 95 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: RFC News

I'm Geoff.

You do good work Paul. Impressive!
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

I'm Paul.

Thanks Geoff. A labour of love in more ways than one.

I'm Paul.

For anyone wishing to demo the Rhapsodys, home visits and demos are a possibility. For those travelling to RFC HQ, I have a set of reference speakers by which they can be judged against as a benchmark...easier to have something to judge them by when out of your own system/room. The reference speakers are Verity Audio Rienzis; A well designed and remarkably good sounding pair of speakers and a great reference against which may other speakers can be judged.

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    For anyone wishing to demo the Rhapsodys, home visits and demos are a possibility. For those travelling to RFC HQ, I have a set of reference speakers by which they can be judged against as a benchmark...easier to have something to judge them by when out of your own system/room. The reference speakers are Verity Audio Rienzis; A well designed and remarkably good sounding pair of speakers and a great reference against which may other speakers can be judged.
    Paul sorry, but apart from the slight geographical issue I would so so take you up on this. Just as a totally fantasy - and an aside: do you do custom woods? I ask this pointless question because I have access to some Kauri - the ultimate glowing wood.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Paul sorry, but apart from the slight geographical issue I would so so take you up on this. Just as a totally fantasy - and an aside: do you do custom woods? I ask this pointless question because I have access to some Kauri - the ultimate glowing wood.
    Hi Andrei

Yes, I'm happy to make speakers in any timber finish at all. I'm building a custom set for a client at the moment and have supplied Rhapsodys in various finishes. Happy to work with timber supplied as well.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Gawd....send me some at once

It turns beautifully and is quite the most wonderful wood on the planet. How old is your bit?? We get turners boasting about 1000s of years.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post

It turns beautifully and is quite the most wonderful wood on the planet. How old is your bit?? We get turners boasting about 1000s of years.
    It has a beautiful sheen to the grain...almost a shame to turn it and lose some of that magic timber to waste! (I feel the same way about most timbers though). Last time I saw a sizeable chunk of Kauri, you needed a small mortgage to buy it.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    It has a beautiful sheen to the grain...almost a shame to turn it and lose some of that magic timber to waste! (I feel the same way about most timbers though). Last time I saw a sizeable chunk of Kauri, you needed a small mortgage to buy it.
    Yup, I can just imagine how the cats would feel, using Kauri shavings for the usual purpose!! I'm pretty careful about the amount I waste but it is inevitable of course. However, with ducks, chickens, cats and rabbits to provide for, let alone Ronnie's demands for the garden, I sometimes struggle to provide enough shavings

I'm Paul.

Exclamation Attention all owners of 15 year old or more loudspeakers!

Just to prove a point about old electrolytic capacitors needing replacing, I have had in a lovely pair of KEF Reference Ones dating from 1994(?). They look immaculate in every sense and could pass as new if on the shop floor.

I downloaded the technical specifications for this exact model which confirms the crossover points as 140Hz and 2800 Hz.

They actually measure 141 Hz (good) and 1984 Hz (most definitely NOT good!!)

What has happened here is that the electrolytics have risen in ESR value with age plus capacitance has changed as they have dried out. This has dropped the crossover by almost 1KHz. Not only would this make them sound pretty awful as it runs the tweeter FAR too low but by that very fact, it reduces power handling capacity and shortens, potentially, tweeter life. A set of new tweeters plus a crossover capacitor refresh is much more expensive than just refreshing the capacitors, so for those of you running anything over 15 years old who want to freshen up the sound (ie return to factory spec) and safegaurd your tweeters, good advice would be to get the crossover capacitors refreshed if they are electrolytic. The work is affordable. PM me if unsure of what this involves. For those handy with a soldering iron and happy to dismantle things, I'll give you a step by step guide. For those who want the work done, please PM me for a quote and a guide to removing the crossover boards.
    Last edited by Reffc; 22-11-2014 at 12:39.

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post

Milled prior to 1931. It came from a house that withstood the colossal 1931 earthquake. In this case the entire ceiling is made from Kauri - and painted over would you believe. I can take it down and replace it with MDF, and it would look the same - slight better actually because it would be freshly painted. In the recycle shops you can find what looks like broken doors - actually they are broken doors - but they have the 'heart of gold'.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

Closed Thread
Page 51 of 95 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast