+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sexy Arms

Default Sexy Arms

Need some inspiration for a new arm - I like the alphason HR100 and think it might be the one but before committing to a long term relationship I want to cast my eye on a few alternatives

even better would be recommendations for arm and cart combos

before anyone else goes to the bother please see below the kind of thing that I am not looking for (well not in this hifi forum anyway)

rgds
    darren

I'm ChrisB.

Just remind us of the TT it's going on would please, Darren?

not quite as simple as that chris - it could be one of the following:

Denon DP6000
    Garrard 301
    Thorens TD124
    technics sp10

all the above in various states of disrepair lined up to try and then choose the one I like best (flogging the rest)

rgds
    darren

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrenw View Post

Denon DP6000
    Garrard 301
    Thorens TD124
    technics sp10

rgds
    darren
    Well, why didn't you say so, me old mucker. In that case, you don't need an arm...............

.................you need one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SoPihLdq4

I'm Guy.

The Alphason would be a fine choice particularly if any trace of vdH cable can be exorcised from it. Same applies to the SME IV and V. FR64 would be another good choice, as would a Breuer.

However, that choice of decks and the scope then for a nice plinth also allows you to consider a 12". the obvious candidates would include the SME 3012, The old or new 12" Ortofons, the 12" Jelco, the Schick or, if you are feeling really flush, the Ikeda 407, SME 312 or V-12 or the Breuer/Brinkmann 12". The FR66s would also be nice although they are hard to find.

The left field choice would be something mad, Japanese and 12" like an SAEC or this gorgeous looking Pioneer PA-70 at Top Class Audio

Cartridge would have to be an SPU or, if you are really going for it, an Io and the appropriate transformer.
    Last edited by pure sound; 23-04-2009 at 20:48.

That is indeed gorgeous, I'm suprised it's still for sale. I remember you talking about this arm last year Guy. It's a bit shiny though init
    Nick.

I'm DAVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrenw View Post

Denon DP6000
    Garrard 301
    Thorens TD124
    technics sp10

all the above in various states of disrepair lined up to try and then choose the one I like best (flogging the rest)

rgds
    darren
    Here you go then....it could help you make your choice!

I think it looks quite nice.....and it sounds...well...quite good really.

Cheers.....Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well I have the alphason home now and it looks a little short to work with the denon (cos it has a skirt) will mount round the back I guess but looks like it will go very close to the skirt in the conventional position

looks nice though - the rest is a bit wobbly - have I a dodgy one or do they all do that?

might send it to J7 for a look anyway and a quote for fairy wire!

Your deck looks nice Dave

rgds
    darren

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The HR100S should be one of the best arms ever made, if not as "blingy" as the beautifully presented japanese arms. It'll certainly lack the 500 - 700Hz resonances that ALL arms with detachable shells seem to exhibit...

The 100S's I had anything to do with never seemed "wobbly" to me, so yours may have been abused. Audio Origami should be experienced enough to carefully reset the bearings, assuming they haven't been damaged (they're ceramic I understand)..

I've just been presented with a rather good looking arm from a defunct Kenwood KD750 (many thanks again Paul). It needs a full re-wire but apart from that looks fully intact. I look forward to getting it done when I can afford it.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Default Now on my deck

Ok not really an arm as it doesn't swing from side to side
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast