+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Profile I Tonearm branded SYSTEMDEK - no known specification

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Mike.

Question Profile I Tonearm branded SYSTEMDEK - no known specification

Can anybody confirm that this is indeed the Profile I and if so, what are its vital statistics?

With regards,
    Mike

I'm Craig.

Looks like the same arm that was fitted to the Systemdek 1. This might indeed make it the Systemdek Profile. Vinyl Engine has a little info but more on the later Profile models. Some folk seem to think its originally a Jelco. Just googled for five minutes and came up with this limited info. Seems to be a tough one to fine the vitals on.
    Craig
    Well Tempered Amadeus. Dynavector P75mk2, Dynavector Dv20x/SAE1000lt/Grado Gold/Goldring Epic2,Pioneer TX9800,Rotel RC1550/RB1070, Rega Apollo, B&W704's,Chord,Audioquest,Tara Labs, MIT,QED, Kimber,Aviemore.

I'm Clive.

It looks somewhat like a Linn Basik in a few areas. Am I correct in thinking these were made by Jelco so the parentage will be very similar? That's an early Systemdek II arm board, the same shape the one I used to have.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Mike.

Hah! The plot thickens!

It appears that Jelco do not recognise this arm as being one from their stable. That is, the headshell design is not theirs.
    See the attached:

Dear Mr. Rajkovic,

Thank you for our inquiry for SYSTEMDECK tonearm.
    This model is out of our production because we don’t know the headshell design.
    Best regards,

Haruo Uchida.

[JELCO] Ichikawa Jewel Co.,Ltd.
    4-29-9 Kami-Ikebukuro,Toshima-Ku,Tokyo 170-0012.
    mail@jelco-ichikawa.co.jp
    uchida@jelco-ichikawa.co.jp
    h-uchida@mail.hinocatv.ne.jp

Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 10:42 AM
    To: jelco@celery.ocn.ne.jp
    Subject: Attention: Mr. Haruo Uchida - Jelco Ichikawa Jewel Co. - Ref. one Systemdek-branded tonearm

Sent: 05 June 2013 19:12
    To: 'jelco@celery.ocn.ne.jp'
    Subject: Attention: Mr. Haruo Uchida - Jelco Ichikawa Jewel Co. - Ref. one Systemdek-branded tonearm

Dear Mr. Uchida,

Can you please help me with identifying one of your tone-arms which we believe to be a Profile-I model produced for Dunlop Systems of Scotland in the mid-1980s and branded SYSTEMDEK? I have such an arm and would like to know more about it before I can decide which of my many turntables it should be partnered with.

I have attached several photographs for your information. I started my research with Jelco SA250-ST tone-arm but it immediately became apparent that bearing design is completely different.

I would very much appreciate a technical specification sheet that will help me with fitting the arm to the deck and perhaps some of your excellent assembly drawings giving me some basic dimensions.

Thanking you in advance, I remain

Yours sincerely,

Mike Rajkovic

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It's far too well made to be a Helius and it has to be a far eastern construction I reckon. The counterweight looks like its mounting is superior to the oft collapsed Linn LVX/Basik Plus ones of today and I'm sure the shell is good too, since it doesn't look to have a plug and socket.

Enjoy
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    It's far too well made to be a Helius and it has to be a far eastern construction I reckon. The counterweight looks like its mounting is superior to the oft collapsed Linn LVX/Basik Plus ones of today and I'm sure the shell is good too, since it doesn't look to have a plug and socket.

Enjoy
    I agree with all your comments.
    So what is it? The photo of this arm I've seen before and it's usually attributed to Jelco, often called Profile I. And if it's not from Jelco stable, then is it a Profile arm at all? More importantly for me need to know the specs so that I can fit it on a deck and give it a try.

Any volunteers?

Regards,
    Mike

I'm ChrisB.

I've come a bit late to this discussion and someone saw what I saw with this arm but they deleted their post, so I'll post a piccie to make the mystery more mysterious:

AR EB-101 - lots of similarities there.

I'm Craig.

Good spotting Mr Wazoo!
    I found some threads on V/engine in the Systemdek pages. A couple of fellas there seemed to spend some time comparing the Profile with the AR and Rotel arms that were the same and they came up with...
    Length 229mm
    O/Hang 16mm
    Eff Mass 12g
    Pivot-Spindle 211mm
    Seems very Linn ish to one of the guys.
    It'll be interesting to hear if any of this gel's
    Craig
    Well Tempered Amadeus. Dynavector P75mk2, Dynavector Dv20x/SAE1000lt/Grado Gold/Goldring Epic2,Pioneer TX9800,Rotel RC1550/RB1070, Rega Apollo, B&W704's,Chord,Audioquest,Tara Labs, MIT,QED, Kimber,Aviemore.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Meep View Post
    Good spotting Mr Wazoo!
    I found some threads on V/engine in the Systemdek pages. A couple of fellas there seemed to spend some time comparing the Profile with the AR and Rotel arms that were the same and they came up with...
    Length 229mm
    O/Hang 16mm
    Eff Mass 12g
    Pivot-Spindle 211mm
    Seems very Linn ish to one of the guys.
    It'll be interesting to hear if any of this gel's
    Craig
    Yes, thank you Chris.

The head-shell on the AR arm looks identical to the one on my Systemdek arm which, taken together with Mr. Uchida's statement that the head-shell is not Jelco design, implies that AR tonearm is not the variant of an SA250-ST as was previously thought by some. Of course, the differences remains in the center bearing design, the yokes on the AR arm being practically identical to the SA250-ST and the Systemdek ones looking very Linn-like but without the 'top housing' as it were. The antiscate bias housing remains non-Linn.

Who makes the LVX arms for Linn?

Regards,
    Mike

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I've come a bit late to this discussion and someone saw what I saw with this arm but they deleted their post, so I'll post a piccie to make the mystery more mysterious:[/IMG]

AR EB-101 - lots of similarities there.
    Sorry Chris, it was me, i just wanted to check the diamensions when i landed at my friends this morning. centre to centre mounting for that '101' arm is indded 211mm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast