+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple TV rocks!

I'm Paul.

Honestly no and this is more to do with me being pretty wedded to Apple and the way they do business.

From what I understand however, the Roku boxes are good pieces of kit and the box looks surprisingly like the Apple TV, which is probably one of the reasons they used that design!

Also, a neighbour of mine demonstrated what the Apple TV could do prior to me getting one and I was hooked from then onwards, just sooooo easy to use!

Paul.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Stuart.

I have not tried the Roku either... so i can help much.

The thing i like about the apple TV (as with all apple products) is that IT WORKS without any fuss.

There is some debate on the topic, here are two opposing views:

http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2013/...u-vs-apple-tv/

http://readwrite.com/2013/06/07/why-...oboNBbHkzLNml3

Probably you would be happy with either... let us know what you decide.
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Dave.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    You plug it into your TV via a HTML cable.
    Tim Berners-Lee would be amused too. That "laugh" smiley is just so OTT!
    Dave

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubies View Post
    The thing i like about the apple TV (as with all apple products) is that IT WORKS without any fuss.
    This is exactly my point and it is why Apple haters, one day must come out of the woodwork and understand!
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Tim Berners-Lee would be amused too. That "laugh" smiley is just so OTT!
    This is now my favourite:

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    This is exactly my point and it is why Apple haters, one day must come out of the woodwork and understand!
    Unfortunately that is not true of all Apple products, though I'm broadly in sympathy with the sentiments. Arguably this is not always Apple's fault, but how are mere end users supposed to know that.

My daughter has a new iPad. She cannot use it with mail.
    I had a look at it, got mail working, and everything was fine. Nope! As soon as she goes back to her flat, which has Virgin broadband, the mail fails. Apple "experts" - e.g Apple Store etc., have not been able to get it to work. There is probably a fix, but it seems too complicated to worry about.

I still have difficulties with the track pad on my Macbook Pro. It keeps on popping up a menu which I don't want, and it takes a few more key strokes and/or gestures to remove it to start over. Usually all I want to do is to select a link. I haven't noticed anyone else reporting this as a problem, but it's driving me nuts.

Another thing is the way the display windows are set out - I find them quite hard to manage - though I have the same problems with Windows, but perhaps to a lesser extent. It comes from having 30 applications open at the same time, but I wish it was easier.

Where Apple kit generally seems to work, IMO - though I know that not everyone here thinks this - is that I can expect it to work within a minute (even less nowadays) of my starting to use it. With PCs and Windows in the past there has been so much time spent trying to get things back into a stable and working state that hours later I had all all but forgotten why I wanted to use the machines in the first place, and lost the will to live in the process.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

PS: The extra annoyance with PCs and Windows is that as soon as everyone else discovers that one has the ability to kick them back into life when they lock up/go bad etc., then everyone brings their problems to you, so you have even less time to do your own thing, and fix your own problems. Grrrrr!
    Dave

I'm Stuart.

PS: The extra annoyance with PCs and Windows is that as soon as everyone else discovers that one has the ability to kick them back into life when they lock up/go bad etc., then everyone brings their problems to you, so you have even less time to do your own thing, and fix your own problems. Grrrrr!
    What is the reward for good work?

Well, More work, of course!

New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Paul.

I had this very same problem, my father used to 'pimp' me out for free to his friends to fix their PC issues. In the end I got so fed up I started charging and that quickly removed the majority of the annoying people chasing me every five blooming minutes... oh and I moved away (70 miles) which is a little extreme, but I moved for work LOL.

I'm Paul.

Unfortunately that is not true of all Apple products, though I'm broadly in sympathy with the sentiments. Arguably this is not always Apple's fault, but how are mere end users supposed to know that.

My daughter has a new iPad. She cannot use it with mail.
    I had a look at it, got mail working, and everything was fine. Nope! As soon as she goes back to her flat, which has Virgin broadband, the mail fails. Apple "experts" - e.g Apple Store etc., have not been able to get it to work. There is probably a fix, but it seems too complicated to worry about.

I still have difficulties with the track pad on my Macbook Pro. It keeps on popping up a menu which I don't want, and it takes a few more key strokes and/or gestures to remove it to start over. Usually all I want to do is to select a link. I haven't noticed anyone else reporting this as a problem, but it's driving me nuts.

Another thing is the way the display windows are set out - I find them quite hard to manage - though I have the same problems with Windows, but perhaps to a lesser extent. It comes from having 30 applications open at the same time, but I wish it was easier.

Where Apple kit generally seems to work, IMO - though I know that not everyone here thinks this - is that I can expect it to work within a minute (even less nowadays) of my starting to use it. With PCs and Windows in the past there has been so much time spent trying to get things back into a stable and working state that hours later I had all all but forgotten why I wanted to use the machines in the first place, and lost the will to live in the process.
    Sorry to hear about the issues with your daughters iPad, has she tried creating another Email address, say a GMail or something similar. I used to use UK2 and have had problems with that so moved over to GMail and iCloud (@me.com) accounts and all is well now.

The issue you describe with the Trackpad sounds like there is a rogue process running... Have you had opened up 'Activity Monitor' so see what is running at the time you use it.

Sorry, this might be like teaching you to sucking eggs, but hopefully something will work

Paul.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast