+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: To BiWire or Not To BiWire

I'm Jim.

My speakers aren't bi-wireable (SF Cremona Auditors) but I currently have double cable runs to each speaker non-biwired (in parallel) simply because I had lots of (cheap Gale) cable from a previous setup. I'm not sure if I can tell the difference but presumably halves the resistance (which I imagine would have more affect on the sound with a 4 ohm speaker like the SF's) I certainly like the way it sounds. It does look a bit messy so I'm tempted to replace...possibly with an off the shelf bi-wire cable doubled up again - any reason not to do this?

I'm Paul.

Better off (and likely cheaper) just going for a larger gauge than your current one. Look for 2.5mm2 section multistrand (assuming your speaker cable runs are no greater than 5m or so). If you use 4 runs of twisted cores you increase capacitance which is undesirable. Twin core is all you need. For resistance, always aim for no more than 5% of your minimum impedance. Eg if that's 4 Ohms, the the total DC resistance of your speaker cable should be within 0.2 Ohms. Remember that to measure this, you include both the positive and return lengths of cable (ie resistance of the length of each side doubled) as that's the total length in circuit.

I may sell cable BUT I always advise against bi-wiring as you're just throwing money away. Bi-amping is a whole different ball game though and has tangible benefits for many speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678