+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To BiWire or Not To BiWire

I'm Stuart.

Default To BiWire or Not To BiWire

I would like to ask for help on my next speaker cables:

Do you BiWire your speakers, or not?

Im about to buy new cables- and realized i was planning to biwire them based on some old assumptions - So, i need your help, is this really a good idea, does it improve sound?

Looking back through this forum - there is some debate, maybe biwiring looses soundstage, maybe its just not necessary if your cable is good enough, maybe different size cable is better for tweets (small) and base (big) - though that last one may be technically correct but feels suspect. So i would like to ask what you have done in your system/what works and what doesnt.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

For cables i am considering Van Damme 4mm or Black Rhodium twist - would appreciate for your advice on this too
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm gone.

Hi Stuart

Yes, it can be worthwhile, depending on the speaker and amp - I think you just have to try it.

My personal reccie would be for neither of the cables on your short list!
    For a very good low cost bi-wire cable I'd go for these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARROW-Spea...item2c6ef07d5c

They sound great and have the added advantage of the two sets of cable being bundled together - makes things tidier.
    They are a bit colourful, though.

I'm Chris.

Another factor to consider is, if you retain jumpers, how you connect the cable to your speaker terminals. I posted a little while ago on this but search doesn't seem to be working at the moment so I can't provide the link.

In summary, my speakers are triwireable but I biwire them. On each speaker, one pair of wires feed the bass driver (red and black) then the other pair plugs into treble red and mid black with jumpers connecting up the rest. Distinctly better then other combinations.

Worth trying out. Could save you a run of cable.

Chris

I'm John.

In my own case I had very mixed results and on the whole preferred my system sound with single wired cable.

I therefore elected to get the best single wire I could afford , for me it also had the advantage that when I subsequently changed speakers to Kef LS50's, which aren't bi-wireable, I didn't have to change cables again.

Really the only way is to experiment in your own system and make the choice which is best for you.

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by kenworthy100 View Post

Really the only way is to experiment in your own system and make the choice which is best for you.
    Absolutely, at the end of the day its what "your" ears prefer not what someone else likes or says is the best thing to do , we're all different. for the record i do bi-wire but there are just as many that don't.
    Gary

Audere est Facere

A thorens TD160 mkii moded turney thing, with a wandy thing nd shure v15 III tracky thing, a quad 99 small up power thing, a quad 99 biggy up power thing, a marantz cd6003 shiny disc spinny thing, a Heathkit tuney thingy two quad 21L boxy vibratey things nd some insulated bendy metal things nd a diy vinyl spinny cleany thing

I'm Stuart.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments and thoughts. I agree i just will have to try it - and see what my ears believe.

Please keep the reviews coming! Anyone have some views on the cable (van damme 4mm, black rhodium twist or other...)

Thanks in advance!
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Deleted.

That Arrow speaker cable that Jerry recommends is interesting:

With its relatively few (12), but quite thick, strands it is a bit like Naim NacA5 (but cheaper).
    Account Deleted

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Hi Stuart

Yes, it can be worthwhile, depending on the speaker and amp - I think you just have to try it.

My personal reccie would be for neither of the cables on your short list!
    For a very good low cost bi-wire cable I'd go for these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARROW-Spea...item2c6ef07d5c

They sound great and have the added advantage of the two sets of cable being bundled together - makes things tidier.
    They are a bit colourful, though.
    Hi Jerry!
    This cable does look interesting - the description does not seem clear about the thickness of the core - it says '6mm thick' - but its not clear if that is the core, or includes the insulation, i guessed it includes everything.

Its very well priced, especially for biwire. by comparison, the 4 core 4mm van damme cable is twice the price - however when only buying a few meters is not much more expensive really:

http://www.vdctrading.com/shop/van-d...ore-per-metre/

Have you seen any reviews on the Arrow cable? vandamme has some great reviews - i might lean toward the van damme unless there are more reviews for comparison

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    That Arrow speaker cable that Jerry recommends is interesting:

With its relatively few (12), but quite thick, strands it is a bit like Naim NacA5 (but cheaper).
    Hi Hm!
    Do you have something in mind when you say 'interesting'?

I remember reading that thicker and fewer strands are better for high frequencies - however low frequencies travel better in cables with more and thin strands.

If that is correct - it would mean that this cable might be weaker on base.

What do you think?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubies View Post
    Hi Jerry!
    This cable does look interesting - the description does not seem clear about the thickness of the core - it says '6mm thick' - but its not clear if that is the core, or includes the insulation, i guessed it includes everything.

Its very well priced, especially for biwire. by comparison, the 4 core 4mm van damme cable is twice the price - however when only buying a few meters is not much more expensive really:

http://www.vdctrading.com/shop/van-d...ore-per-metre/

Have you seen any reviews on the Arrow cable? vandamme has some great reviews - i might lean toward the van damme unless there are more reviews for comparison
    Well, to my ears Van Damme is drab and boring.
    I've heard the Twist and it gets great reviews and has won awards - but personally I disliked it intensely. I did a review >here<, probably the only negative review it's ever received!

In your position I know where my money would go, but it's your money so ..... why not buy the Twist and the Arrow. As you say, it's not a lot of dosh and I bet you can move whatever is the "loser" on easily enough.
    Last edited by jandl100; 05-06-2013 at 08:53.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast