+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gyrodec vs pimped Techie

I'm Francois.

Talking

With the risk of being extremely controversial , I used to own a GyrOrbe (a gyro with HR PSU and Orbe Massive platter + SME 309 + Lyra Clavis) for the best part of 3 years.
    It was great at soundstaging for sure, but I did find the whole deck dull IMHO... And that was regardless of phonostage used... (Whest, Slee, Icon Audio, Croft, etc...). It never got me fully ENGAGED in the music, there was always something nagging about the suspension, the tension on the belt, etc...

The day I got a techie, all my doubts and angst about vinyl were gone...

Over the last year I have added Isonoe, taken PSU out, got Mike New bearing, upgraded platter (from Inspire), rewired the techie tonearm.

I never looked back at the GyrOrbe...

I am in NO WAY saying that the Gyro isn't a good deck, because it is actually a fantastic piece of engineering, and a great deck. BUT
    It will not be to everybody's taste (certainly wasn't to mine ). And It doesn't come cheap...

So, demo it, listen to to both decks it in different combo before making the big leap...
    Francois, Bergerac, France
    Source component/s:
    Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, Allo Digi One, Sony SCD-XE800, AVID Ingenium Twin arm, Audio Note Arm One, Groovemaster II 12in, Audio Note IQ3 MM, Denon DL103R MC, Croft Basic 25, TQ Iridium Phonostage, Puresound T10 Stepup Transformer, Zavfino majestic tonearm cable
    Amplification:
    Audio Note OTO PP, Dussun V6i
    Loudspeakers:
    Triangle Comete ES, Klispch RP600M
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

I'm ILOB.

I had similar experiences with Gyro I could live with Orbe/gyro a lot more. It was more solid sounding than gyro. I know a lot of people say its set up but I got mine set up by Richard at Harrow Audio so perhaps a synergy thing
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Paul.

Most experts think the Gyro Orbe does not sound right. The general advice is to stick to a Gyrodec or get a proper Orbe. The Gyrodec is far from dull but is not overly bright like some other modern designs. Set the fecker up yourself in situ - don't trust dealers.

Prices

Gyrodec SE £1199
    HR power supply option £395.
    Orbe SE £2600.

Paul.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    sticking my SME V on it with a cartridge like a Ortofon Cadanza ( this to be discussed later) a tasty SUT
    Go as high up the Cadenza tree as you can and also get the orotfon SUT if you can afford it. Contrary to popular believe the V, Cadenza black and ST80SE SUT are a suberb tri-bo.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    The SME is a very synergistic match for Mitchell decks and arm swapping is easy. I have also found my Gyro audibly very speed stable (with QC PS) -no wobbly piano notes. From what I have heard of Technics I would say Mitchell are the more musical if less muscular with much better soundstaging. Depends on preferences but I think you will need to throw a lot of £££s at a Technics to beat a well set up Gyro.
    I agree with you that the SME and gyrodec work very well however I don't hear any wobbly piano notes on my deck. I'd also disagree with your musicality comment, but, hey thats what we are here to comment on. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the ££££££'s comment regarding the technie. You do need to spend money on them. But, you also get a deck which pretty much flattens all others.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    It really depends how much you want to pimp the 1210 (Marco Martin and Rexton levels its a very different deck)
    Shooks,

Further tweaks to my Techie if l were to go that way would be a poncy bearing... and that would be it probably.... but you never know.....
    Do you have a MN bearing? If not this could be your biggest upgrade. Probably better than getting a Cadenza black.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Before I comment, a couple of questions:

1) Andy, are you planning on buying a brand new Gyrodec or a second-hand one?

2) How much is a new Gyrodec without an arm (as an SME V is going to be used)?

Once I know that, I will advise on how much I think it would take to 'pimp' a Techy to the level of a new Gyrodec, as I'm familiar with the intrinsic sound of both T/Ts

Marco.
    Wow! Thanks for the posts, it would be a new Gyro, l had an Orbe years ago( l have not heard one in years) so my audio memory is unreliable, but l quite liked it if l recall, however once l got my E-bay special Techie in a way the musicality and solidty of sound shone through, there are some upgrades to the Techie l am not too keen on,ie the external PSU, as l said the bearing looks good and other internal mods, l doubt l would go to Marco ot Martin T levels! But l am leaning towards pimping the Techie after reading all your threads.........
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You could always go for the superior NAS heavy-Space or save up for a Hyperspace, but you lot don't really want to listen to those, 'cos they don't look blingy enough
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andy.

Er no David as good as they may sound l hate the look of those NA turntables
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    You could always go for the superior NAS heavy-Space or save up for a Hyperspace, but you lot don't really want to listen to those, 'cos they don't look blingy enough
    I would agree that Hyperspace and Orbe are pretty much on the same level. Slight preference for the Orbe though.

I'm Gone.

Er no David as good as they may sound l hate the look of those NA turntables
    I've never had the privilege of hearing a Nottingham Analogue deck, but I have seen them in the flesh at a local dealer. He has a good few turntables on display including the SMEs. In terms of build quality, I thought the NAS decks made the rest look like toys. They also look a lot prettier in the flesh. When funds are there, I'm going to try one.

Personally, I have never liked Michell turntables, although I've not heard the more recent incarnations. They all tend to sound boring to me, lacking "balls" for want of a better word. That said, I do appreciate the engineering and love he looks.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I reckon that the only belt-drive turntable I could live with, long-term, is this: http://www.tw-acustic.de/en/turntables/raven-ac

Everything about that thing is AWESOME!!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast