+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl System

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Default Vinyl System

Looking for a system for a mate. He's not an audiophile as such, but loves his music. He's got £500 to spend and wants a TT, amp and speakers. Any suggestions?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I have a phono stage I can give him, that just leaves TT, amp & speakers.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Looking for a system for a mate. He's not an audiophile as such, but loves his music. He's got £500 to spend and wants a TT, amp and speakers. Any suggestions?
    Turntable rega Planar cartridge ortofon
    Phono stage http://sound.westhost.com/project06.htm
    Passive pre stereo coffee LDR
    power amp boards modulus -86 http://www.neurochrome.com/audio/?page_id=1092 parts mouser

With this much front end resolution he will really love his music,
    Speakers if budget is strained wharfdale crystal 10 on stands
    or better speakers Jr 149 on stands,

Cheers / Chris

I'm Martin.

TT: Used Technics SL1200 with cork/butyl mat and Sumiko headshell, stick on a budget AT or Nag depending on taste. Will dance on the Rega's grave

Should leave about £150 for amp and speakers:

Speakers - something that will work well with the room
    Amp - something that will have no trouble driving the chosen speakers
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    TT: Used Technics SL1200 with cork/butyl mat and Sumiko headshell, stick on a budget AT or Nag depending on taste. Will dance on the Rega's grave
    Not in my humble experience Martin, my most modest p3-24 has shown a few Techies the door. The P6 with Ortofon 2M blue showed a well modded Techie a clean pair of heels, just so much more musical involvement in the Rega's we found. Dare I call it 'soul'? The Techie was flat and sterile by comparison.

Not everyone who buys a Rega TT is a vinyl newbie with no point of comparsion as is often assumed.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Graeme.

+1 for the Rega, amazing value and musicality.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Not in my humble experience Martin, my most modest p3-24 has shown a few Techies the door. The P6 with Ortofon 2M blue showed a well modded Techie a clean pair of heels, just so much more musical involvement in the Rega's we found. Dare I call it 'soul'? The Techie was flat and sterile by comparison.

Not everyone who buys a Rega TT is a vinyl newbie with no point of comparsion as is often assumed.

System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Thanks guys, some good suggestions, have sent him links to stuff I've come across so far. Further suggestions welcome.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Ultimately personal preference would have it. But I cannot bring myself to recommend a turntable that struggles to spin at the correct speed. I've compared an RP3/RB300 (a minter from the late '80s) with my SL1200 and whilst there was not a massive amount in it and the Rega sounded very good indeed I preferred the Technics for its superior timing and authority. You do need to lightly mod the Technics as I suggested though, I'd expect most folk to prefer the Rega over a totally stock SL1200, I suspect I would too.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

does he want small bookshelfs or bigger standmounts/floorstanders.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast