+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Rega Ela mk1. Spares Or Repair.

I'm Shane.

Default FS: Rega Ela mk1. Spares Or Repair.

Rega Ela MK1 speakers for sale.

These are the fully fluted ones with the fantastic Royd drivers.

Sadly one tweeter doesn't work but the other tweeter does. Please be warned!!

Both Royd drivers are working fine!!

In good condition for their age. But do expect some little marks. Will also demo the Elas to the buyer.

Buyer will have to collect please.

60 Pounds firm.

Payments: Cash Or BT.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I was told the drivers were a joint effort, but obviously Joe Ackroyd may have a different slant on it..

Like all Rega speakers since, these have a good, neutral and communicative midrange, the bass rolls off steeply below 80Hz or so (a side effect of the loading) and, well, the Scan tweeter in undamped form. For £60, well worth getting and replacing probably both tweeters, possibly with the damped Scans that Spendor and Pro-Ac used (with velour surrounding the dome)..

Good luck Shane
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shane.

Ta, Dave.

I'm Shane.

BUMP.

I'm Shane.

Friday BUMP.

I'm Aaron.

Default Ela's

Hi Shane, Are the Rega Ela's still available? An underrated Joe Akroyd masterpiece! Let me know, may be able to collect this weekend.
    Cheers, Aaron.
    Gear list: Technics SL1100, Denon DL160,Technics SU9070+SE9060 Pre/power, Ruark Accolade, Arcam Airdac, Cambridge Audio CXC.

I'm Shane.

PM sent

Ela's now sold.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Can you chaps really conform that the first Ela driver was ALL Joe Ackroyds work? We had the Ackroyd equivalent speaker and it wasn't as good in our dem rooms..

Hope you enjoy them Aaron, whoever really designed them
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Joel.

Hi There,

With regard to the following:

'Can you chaps really conform that the first Ela driver was ALL Joe Ackroyds work? We had the Ackroyd equivalent speaker and it wasn't as good in our dem rooms..'

The story, as I understand it, is that the Royd Apex and Rega ELA were a joint development project between Rega and Royd, with both speakers using Royd's own 5" drivers. the cabinet dimensions are the same, but finish, detaling, crossovers, stand, and tweeters are different. Rega then began producing their own 5" LF unit, first used in ELA MkII. That 5" driver is very much the same unit in production today. It's very similar to Royd's piece, but uses pressed steel for the basket rather than cast alu.

If it's of any interest to any Apex/ELA owners out there, Rega can supply a brand new replacement driver for both these speakers. If you ask for Dave, and tell him you need the Mk1 ELA unit they modify their current 5" unit to be a drop in replacement. Only relevant to Apex and ELA though, they are not suitable for other Royd designs - although I have heard that they are a close as damnit option for Royd A14s as standard, ie no need for Rega to machine off the square-ish mountings tabs.

Regards,

joel

I'm Gone.

I agree with al of the above except that IIRC the tweeter in both speakers is identical too. Scanspeak D2008.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast