+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Denon tonearms...any good?

Default Vintage Denon tonearms...any good?

Fellas, can anyone tell me more about these old pro and semi-pro arms and thier pedigree, I'm thinking in particular about the DA-309 10" to accompany my DL-103 & DP-80...not that I'm becoming a Denon Fan boy or anything of course, honest.

Step forward DSJR.

cheers
    Last edited by scoobs; 19-04-2009 at 17:58.
    Nick.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed, and I suspect that Dave Cawley may also have something to say on the subject if he's sampled one of these particular classics in the past.

My view would be that if everything's in full working order (especially the bearings) then a DA-309 would be a great match for your 103. As ever though with vintage tonearms, condition is crucial! Might be worth speculating on if you can find one at a decent price

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Exclamation F.A.O Scoobs

Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Cheers Marco
    I took a punt on the 309 pictured above, it was going for a good price and they are pretty rare in the UK too. Let's see what the postie brings tomorrow.
    Nick.

I'm sure that it will be a very nice tonearm and a great match for your T/T and cart. Keep us posted!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
    Cheers Marco
    I took a punt on the 309 pictured above, it was going for a good price and they are pretty rare in the UK too. Let's see what the postie brings tomorrow.
    Hello Nick.

How did you find the Denon DA-309 with your Denon DL-103 cartridge?
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Martin Colloms gave a very average/iffy review to the DA307 amd 309, the main problem being the tube to bearing housing decoupling screwing up depth and spatial information with a thickened quality. The 307 scored marginally better in the same group test for some reason.

Just because some of these relics are beautifully made, rare as hens teeth (I wonder why?) and fetching good prices on fleabay really doesn't guarantee a top grade product (I've heard from a very trusted source that the kenwood L-07D is easily bettered by a rega on music discs and the rep agreed) despite this thing being worshipped elsewhere . having said that, a modern exit cable, decent headshell and a suitable platform (not a hollow old Denon plinth IMO) may improve things no end.......
    Last edited by DSJR; 16-02-2010 at 14:17.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Martin Colloms gave a very average/iffy review to the DA307 amd 309, the main problem being the tube to bearing housing decoupling screwing up depth and spatial information with a thickened quality. The 307 scored marginally better in the same group test for some reason.

Just because some of these relics are beautifully made, rare as hens teeth (I wonder why?) and fetching good prices on fleabay really doesn't guarantee a top grade product (I've heard from a very trusted source that the kenwood L-07D is easily bettered by a rega on music discs and the rep agreed) despite this thing being worshipped elsewhere . having said that, a modern exit cable, decent headshell and a suitable platform (not a hollow old Denon plinth IMO) may improve things no end.......
    Hello Dave.

Have you personally heard DA-309 or DA-307 yourself played? Reason why I am asking is that I am trying to find another arm to go with my 12" Jelco . This mystery arm should be on the heavy side, because it will paired with Denon DL-103R in the future.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Yes, back in the day we had the denon decks and arms and didn't care overmuch for the arms then as they sounded a bit fat and sluggish...

Solid shells and lead ballast weights can weigh down a jelco 250 for example. A shame the Ortofon arm from this period fetches silly money now as it was rather good and you couldn't give them away not that long ago....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

The original Rega R200 is/was a very good arm and is available for not too much nowadays. Also it's big Daddy, the Acos Lustre is a goodie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast