+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Speaker cables

I'm fuckoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
    But true. Perhaps I should have made you happy by saying TQ Don't trust me, I don't trust them, everyone else is happy?
    Say what you like, that statement is still ridiculous.

Alan, putting words into other peoples mouths (in this case tq's) and making assumptions on their behalf always carries a risk.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    Say what you like, that statement is still ridiculous.

Alan, putting words into other peoples mouths (in this case tq's) and making assumptions on their behalf always carries a risk.

Thank you for your unrequested thoughts and advice. Weren't YOU getting upset because "people were telling you what to do"?

It's an informal discussion.

Give me simple quality copper.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Give me some quality copper
    You just want Norah Jones 'on top' of you!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm fuckoff.

Its an open forum, wouldn't be much of a conversation if we had to wait for permission to speak, would there?

I wasn't upset, I said I was puzzled by people doing that; I appreciate your caring though.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You just want Norah Jones 'on top' of you!

Marco.
    Careful Marco, or you'll be on a weeks ban!

I'm Alan.

Trust seems a red herring here; in what way do we need to trust a company before we buy hifi from them? Many companies cannot be 'trusted' to reveal their specs, marketing strategies, or costs. People still buy musical fidelity gear, often knowing full well they can't be 'trusted' not to replace their current equipment within 6 months. Can Naim be 'trusted' not to make gear without it requiring an uprated power supply to sound it's best? I just don't see 'trust' as an appropriate term of reference in this conversation.

If someone doesn't like a company that won't reveal stuff, fine - there are plenty of others which will. The guy who made my previous amplifier publicly gave a breakdown of the costs involved to build his amp. It wouldn't automatically follow that he was trustworthy though, would it?

Some companies need to protect the concepts they are working with, especially if they are slightly different to their competitors. Should rivals establish the nature of such a difference, the source of any supposed (technical or commercial) advantage, it would be only a matter of time before a product with a similar concept would appear under another brand. It's the idea that needs to be protected first.

As a consumer, I may favour more competitors making similar gear - it drives the price down. That is in my interest. But, I do understand a designer/manufacturer, such as Colin (who is a company director at TQ), protecting both his own interests, intellectual property, and the interests of fellow shareholders.
    Best regards, Alan
    Also playing on AudioChews

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Trust seems a red herring here; in what way do we need to trust a company before we buy hifi from them? Many companies cannot be 'trusted' to reveal their specs, marketing strategies, or costs. People still buy musical fidelity gear, often knowing full well they can't be 'trusted' not to replace their current equipment within 6 months. Can Naim be 'trusted' not to make gear without it requiring an uprated power supply to sound it's best? I just don't see 'trust' as an appropriate term of reference in this conversation.

If someone doesn't like a company that won't reveal stuff, fine - there are plenty of others which will. The guy who made my previous amplifier publicly gave a breakdown of the costs involved to build his amp. It wouldn't automatically follow that he was trustworthy though, would it?

Some companies need to protect the concepts they are working with, especially if they are slightly different to their competitors. Should rivals establish the nature of such a difference, the source of any supposed (technical or commercial) advantage, it would be only a matter of time before a product with a similar concept would appear under another brand. It's the idea that needs to be protected first.

As a consumer, I may favour more competitors making similar gear - it drives the price down. That is in my interest. But, I do understand a designer/manufacturer, such as Colin (who is a company director at TQ), protecting both his own interests, intellectual property, and the interests of fellow shareholders.
    Your involvement with CW/TQ is noted
    Last edited by AlanS; 22-05-2013 at 12:37.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678