+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amps - valve or SS?

I'm Geoff.

I've been using both Class A valves and Class A solid state for years and I like both. They do sound different, but I would not like to say one is better than the other. I switch from one to the other periodically according to mood, but they both sound bloody marvellous to me!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Clive.

I'm using class A SS and valves, both are SE and it's hard to detect much differnce.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    This is a very good question but........... there seem to be few that sit on the fence and most fall in one camp or the other.
    Well, I have an arse full of splinters! A bit like direct drive v belt v idler (etc) I don't really give a monkeys what the "technology" is, I let my ears decide - there are good and not so good implementations of every topology - so why limit yourself? Budget is my limitation, and so far at the lower end of the market SS wins, but I would love some tubes one day, not least the pride of ownership which I personally feel is a big factor with hifi - and why not?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Andrei.

Default Confession

I am running an excellent Solid State: but truth be told I would love to be running good quality Valves. I am running a SS partly for pragmatic reasons and partly because my SS is so good, and does sound somewhat 'valve-like' for that matter.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned664 View Post
    I have been reading a bit about valve amps, one passage included the phrase 'I am now listening to music rater than sound' apparently after conversion to using a valve amp. I wondered whether other members have had any experience of the change from SS to valve good or bad?

Thanks
    Sadly solid state and valve amps always seem to divide opinion. I'm not sure why TBH.

Let me state that I haven't heard a valve amp for a few years. IMPO there are either good or bad amps. A good SS amp is every bit as good as a valve amp, just as bad valve... is no worse than a bad SS.

Personally, it boils down to practicality: I have my Leema on for about 6-8 hours a day - this includes my usage, Mrs. P and little'un watching her DVDs via the amp. Based on the real fact that most valve tend to overheat, allied to poor perceived power. Obv you'll need load-friendly speakers i.e. 6 ohms upwards and minimum of 90db (these figures can/will depend on the quality of the amp chosen).

Regards the SQ between the two will also vary depending on partnering equipment. A good SS amp can sound as natural as a valve.

As always this observation is based purely on my own experiences.

I'm Nick.

Hmm... my Leak is going upstairs into system 2 next week. Being replaced with an OTL that strangely, has no output transformers at all
    I will be interested how that goes. In theory a standard OTL valve amp is the worst possibly match or a pair of statics.
    Nick.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    I will be interested how that goes. In theory a standard OTL valve amp is the worst possibly match or a pair of statics.
    I tried it, thanks to the designer (Firebottle) in my system first. Sounds wonderful.

It took a lot to replace an amp I've been using happily for over 20 years.

I'm Neal.

It will have to use a fair amount of NFB to get the output impedance down to an acceptable level thats for sure...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm fuckoff.

What's an otl amp?

I'm ChrisB.

Output Transformerless, so not strange at all really that it has no output transformers - it would be a strange one that had them!
    (Sorry Gordon there's no excuse for my rampant pedantry!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast