+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mains cable rec's for balanced transformer

I'm Gary.

Default mains cable rec's for balanced transformer

Hooking up the balanced transformer to the system soon.
    Its a hard wired unit so need to organise some mains wire for it.

Been reading on Pinkfish and Naim forums about the Roy K Riches "Beast" cable the guy had made up...
    Seems to be spoke of in "hushed" tones as something a bit special, anyone have info on that?
    Have a few metres of Lapp Offlex I can use but wondering what else is out there.

Just trying to source "the best" sensible cable for hooking up the trannie to the wall socket and making up a distribution block for the kit that will be plugged into it.

Thanks.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Given that the transformer is removing the crap on the mains, I'd have thought what cable is used would not really matter?

I'm tony.

The lapp 2.5mm stuff really hasn't convinced me. I have tried it with tube power amps/dac/pre and even statics and have not been at all impressed-very bass heavy and thick limbed. really killed the sonics on the statics less so on the tube amps. likewise it killed the dynamics when powering the whole shebang on the end of the balanced mains .
    I made up four interconnects with silver MK tough plug and martin kaiser iec.
    you could do worse than the Supra 2.5mm stuff, bit dearer but has proved to be good in my set up regardless where I position it.

mains block wise the MCRU basic block that's silver plaited is pretty undetectable when in place, no noticeable sonic difference when I remove it- I got the 6 gang block for about £80 (fit and forget IMHO)

By all means pop across with some wires and have a listen for yourself.....let me know!!!!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Given that the transformer is removing the crap on the mains, I'd have thought what cable is used would not really matter?
    Cant say for sure if it will have any effect Ali, just having the usual pre-setup paranoia

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    The lapp 2.5mm stuff really hasn't convinced me. I have tried it with tube power amps/dac/pre and even statics and have not been at all impressed-very bass heavy and thick limbed. really killed the sonics on the statics less so on the tube amps. likewise it killed the dynamics when powering the whole shebang on the end of the balanced mains .
    I made up four interconnects with silver MK tough plug and martin kaiser iec.
    you could do worse than the Supra 2.5mm stuff, bit dearer but has proved to be good in my set up regardless where I position it.

mains block wise the MCRU basic block that's silver plaited is pretty undetectable when in place, no noticeable sonic difference when I remove it- I got the 6 gang block for about £80 (fit and forget IMHO)

By all means pop across with some wires and have a listen for yourself.....let me know!!!!
    Aye, that'd be handy Tony.
    Give me an idea of what I've got stands in the scheme of things.

Just let me know when it suits.

thanks.

I'm Jerry.

Your into some expensive stuff these days Gaz. I remember when you, DaveK and me used to agonise over a £30 Standac upgrade.
    We were poor but we were happy!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Your into some expensive stuff these days Gaz. I remember when you, DaveK and me used to agonise over a £30 Standac upgrade.
    We were poor but we were happy!
    Yeah, happy days actually.
    ...tell the kids of today that and they wont believe you!
    Had some good luck I guess and buying and selling got me a few steps up the ladder.

Its good to see folk still upgrading Stans Dacs actually, the mods did make a great improvement to something sounding great already.
    Being Scottish Jerry I STILL agonise over spending money...do you know the story of how copper wire was invented?

That Hifimediy dac you run is supposed to sound great, is it the Sabre based one?

I'm Jerry.

No, please tell the copper wire story.
    Not bothered with upgrades much lately Gaz but have a lot more music. Sent off for a new T-amp to use when I am on the computer.
    Stan sent me a variable output Bushmaster which I am messing around with.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Aye, that'd be handy Tony.
    Give me an idea of what I've got stands in the scheme of things.

Just let me know when it suits.

thanks.
    pm sent

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    No, please tell the copper wire story.
    Not bothered with upgrades much lately Gaz but have a lot more music. Sent off for a new T-amp to use when I am on the computer.
    Stan sent me a variable output Bushmaster which I am messing around with.
    Two Scotsman fighting over a penny - that's how copper wire was invented!

With the balanced power supply in place (eventually) I feel as though I've got to where I wanted to go, when I heard Ali's in my system it just upgraded everything all at once, fantastic.

Discovered Valve amps (got a cracker 2nd hand) and have built myself a nice sounding server, so feel as though the digital is sorted.
    My new Dac took things a good step up as well.
    Always fancied getting back into vinyl, probably need a good TT (i.e. spendy) to beat the digital, so that will need to wait.
    Getting new music in the mean time.
    Started putting on a lottery ticket again, funny that.

Have an Amptastic T-Amp myself, sounds great.
    Any news on the Mk2 Amptastic amp yet?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast