+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bashed a car

I'm Jerry.

It's just not worth the hassle Alex. I am self employed and this was the first job I have done for this particular client, don't want to rock the boat. I have sent them an email explaining that I am paying for it.
    Just hope the guy does what I suggest and gets one of the mobile repair firms to fix it. They are a lot cheaper than the big garages.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Fair enough, Jerry - I understand.

If you're self-employed though, does that not make you a sub-contractor, too? In which case, aren't you insured? (Not worrying about the wing, but what if it was something more serious...?)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Jerry.

I suppose if it was serious then the insurance of the firm I was working for would cover it.
    I am far more concerned that they have PII in place, I could lose my house if I make a mistake and their not covered.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I suppose if it was serious then the insurance of the firm I was working for would cover it.
    I am far more concerned that they have PII in place, I could lose my house if I make a mistake and their not covered.
    Don't "suppose" Jerry, get it checked out... Sorry, I'll get off my soap-box now - but nearly 30 years in the insurance industry has taught me never to suppose or assume...

My contribution to this thread is meant with the best of intentions - I appreciate I am likely to be considered only slightly higher in the food-chain than greedy bankers by most, but in reality insurance companies have saved millions of people from losing everything.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Jerry.

'Tis appreciated Alex. I have tried to avoid the expense of PII by working for others with the relevant insurance. Its having to pay roll off insurance for seven years that gets me
    Jerry

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Employer's Liability (injury to employees) is compulsory but not Public Liability (injury to third parties or damage to third party property) - however, the vast majority of contractors/business policies would cover Public Liability.

Regardless of insurance, it is not your responsibility in law, Jerry - if in your capacity as an employee of the company - even if you caused the damage you are not personally liable - the firm should still be responsible for the damages.
    Is it just me or does this sum up a large part of what is wrong with today's society? Why must we have someone to blame, or someone else to shift responsibility onto?

As far as I can see, if I'm holding a ladder and it smacks into something, then it's my fault - pure and simple, unless of course you wish to blame god/allah/mother nature for making the wind blow in the first place, but that could be even trickier.

Jerry had an accidental misfortune - he's manned up, owned up and offered to make good the damage. Good for him, I say.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Jerry.

I had a phone call about it this afternoon. Because the ladder damaged the crease between bonnet and wing it means the wing has to be replaced.
    The cost is an eye watering £1150. I could have got a lovely Croft pre for that....
    Jerry

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I had a phone call about it this afternoon. Because the ladder damaged the crease between bonnet and wing it means the wing has to be replaced.
    The cost is an eye watering £1150. I could have got a lovely Croft pre for that....
    Bloody 'ell. I take it back. Follow Alex's wise words and get your employer to cough up...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Is it just me or does this sum up a large part of what is wrong with today's society? Why must we have someone to blame, or someone else to shift responsibility onto?
    I don't disagree - I was just explaining the legal position regarding liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Bloody 'ell. I take it back. Follow Alex's wise words and get your employer to cough up...
    Yes, morals do have a price limit!
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12