+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: North East Bake Off 2 - 21/06/13 Hartlepool

I'm Alan.

I went and had a cracking night so many thanks to Steve for organising it
    It was really great to meet everyone and there were some great music produced, I was really impressed by Neil's Ruark speakers and his Lenco turntable and that MingDa valve amp they really rocked,
    Nice to meet Jez and hear his lovely phono stage. Also a pleasure to speak to LesW and see his fantastic amps in the flesh and that new Tone arm looks really special.

Alan

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Good to hear it was worth you going, Jez. Did Les, from Avondale Audio, also make it?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jez.

As Alan said yes Les made it there too. Interesting looking pickup arm prototype from Les but unfortunately we didn't get to hear it as I believe there was some issue with a turntable he had brought (not certain of my facts on that one) so we saw it unmounted.. as it were.

Alan, I'm guessing you were the guy with the reel to reel? It sounded very nice anyway.

I had my eyes and ears opened as to how good a Lenco GL75 could be when fettled... bloody marvellous! I've got at least two of those somewhere so I may well have to have a play... Yes that Ming Da valve amp was very nice and could kick ass when required! The Ruark speakers must be pretty efficient to do that on 38 WPC as it wasn't a small small room really and they got up to some good spl's at times.

It was nice to see so many people still "home brew" and modify hifi kit in the tradition of this technical hobby... What with the re-plinthed etc Lenco and Garrard and then the kit built phono stages which both sounded nice.

Steve, Neil I'm looking forward to the Hartlepool International Hi End Show as soon as you have it organised

It was nice to come back to my home town for the first time in several years but it's changed so much I didn't recognise most of it and even got lost!
    The full motorbike gear was a mistake! Forecast said going to turn nasty but I got there having lost about two pounds in sweat underneath all the garb and it turned out to be a beautiful summer solstice evening. Hooned it back at about the ton and got bike away, cat fed etc in time for three pints in my local Weatherspoons (open till 1). Result!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alan.

Alan, I'm guessing you were the guy with the reel to reel? It sounded very nice anyway.

Hi Jez, yes that was my Tascam BR-20 R2R and Garrard 401.
    I agree about the Lenco what a cracking turntable, I also have a Leak delta (lenco 75) in the garage so I will certainly be having a play with that when time permits

Alan

I'm Ken.

NEBO2 was my first event of any kind and I really enjoyed it.
    Great venue, great bunch of people and great sounds.
    Here’s a few of the things that were going on:

Alans Tascam R2R sounded spot on. That Ming DA Amp running EL34’s could rock, pretty amazing as it was fresh out of the box that evening, what would it be like once run in?

Alans Garrard 401 with Jelco arm, nice!

Jez’s Highly modified CA Phonostage was really precise and belted out some Steeley Dan and Dire straits in a very detailed and controlled manner. Those Ruark speakers were also impressive.

Jez also brought this amp as a bit of a conversational piece, but it sounded quite good, particularly like the minimalist case.

This was my battery MC Phono Stage (below TT). It’s my version of Hypnotoads AD797 project.
    It worked well, but I thought Jez’s unit had it beat. It would have been nice to hear them at lower volume levels for a better comparison.

Mick’s Verdik amps from the 1950’s made an appearance at the end of the evening, but we ran out of time. I think an all day event could be in order?

It was a very pleasant evening and I look forward to NEBO3, big thanks to the folks that provided the venue, food, and drink and of course to Steve for bringing the event together.

I'm Rich.

Looks like a good event was had by all....

Steve has put some pics and a write up on his site here http://progmeister.com/nebo2

Sorry I couldn't make it but my Mrs deserved a good weekend away after doing so much for her mum lately. We had a fab time eating and drinking our way around Netherlands and more importantly I've earned enough brownie points for NEBO3 and the AoS show when it happens.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Les.

My thanks go to Steve for organising the event and to everyone for the warm welcome given to Jennie and I.

It was a pleasure to listen to the systems and to chat informally to the enthusiasts about a number of
    interesting matters.

A great event, I look forward to another.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123