+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tellurium q Graphite USB

I'm Clive.

If anyone wants a source for individuality configured USB cable you can try Elijah Audio.

The prices are not at Chinese mass-market rates but they aren't crazy either for handmade cables.

http://www.elijahaudio.com/products.html
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Found the same at a previous get together, we tried several usb cables between a laptop and v link. All were easily discernably different.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Found the same at a previous get together, we tried several usb cables between a laptop and v link. All were easily discernably different.
    I really don't want to rock the boat (too much), but next time you do these comparisons, could you, for a giggle, try listening totally blindfolded so you have no idea what the cables are and/or how much they cost. All reputable USB cables at sensibly low prices have to meet a data-transfer minimum standard I believe and, until the data reaches the DAC, it's not supposed to matter. The DAC receiver has a "window of acceptance" which USB cables *should* be able to place the data in, so if one cable really is sounding better, then there's something else going on. Trust my ears? Not on my nellie, let alone yours
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rich.

At our last bake off a chap showed up with some homemade USB cables which did not contain the power strands. His argument was lower noise by removing the unnecessary power carrying wires to an independently powered DAC. Don't know whether this logic holds up but I do wonder why all audiophiles are not using them if we don't need to power a component by USB.

Thoughts?
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I really don't want to rock the boat (too much), but next time you do these comparisons, could you, for a giggle, try listening totally blindfolded so you have no idea what the cables are and/or how much they cost. All reputable USB cables at sensibly low prices have to meet a data-transfer minimum standard I believe and, until the data reaches the DAC, it's not supposed to matter. The DAC receiver has a "window of acceptance" which USB cables *should* be able to place the data in, so if one cable really is sounding better, then there's something else going on. Trust my ears? Not on my nellie, let alone yours
    Yes and no, Yes it should not matter but somehow it does. The USB spec does give guidance on construction and impedance but there is quite a large tolerance on this IE: the twist per inch for the data lines has a 2 cm tolerance, the termination values have a 10% tolerance plus the data lines have to operate not only in differential mode but also support single ended command mode. These two modes have different impedance requirements.

The design of the end node device may use the defined USB specification for termination and impedance but many cables, even, spec compliant ones, will vary from the ideal. IE the TPI of many cables it twice that of the USB spec. and running the power lines inside the same sheath along with the twisted data lines causes variation of the impedance along the cables length. This last point alone may explain what shortest is best.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    At our last bake off a chap showed up with some homemade USB cables which did not contain the power strands. His argument was lower noise by removing the unnecessary power carrying wires to an independently powered DAC. Don't know whether this logic holds up but I do wonder why all audiophiles are not using them if we don't need to power a component by USB.

Thoughts?
    It may, as the differential pair run inside the same sheath as the power lines the cable twist of the data lines cause a varying impedance down the length of the cable. Removing the ground and Vbus power line would help and maybe remove noise from those lines. I've certainly had good results using a USB isolator and employing a 5v battery to power the Vbus line.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm fuckoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    If anyone wants a source for individuality configured USB cable you can try Elijah Audio.

The prices are not at Chinese mass-market rates but they aren't crazy either for handmade cables.

http://www.elijahaudio.com/products.html
    I've actually made use of their money back trial and am expecting delivery any day, I'll report back with my findings vs the graphite.

I'm David.

Best not tell anyone what your new DAC cost mate they will all have a hissy fit

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    Best not tell anyone what your new DAC cost mate they will all have a hissy fit
    It seems like the Tellurium USB cable is priced at 15% of the DAC.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Paul.

I'm with Clive's approach on this as it makes perfect sense and have read similar results in using short cables or a cableless USB connection elsewhere. It has more to do with quality of connection and implementation than cost. I imagine the Mdac Martin used previously is not as great as the hype suggests and am sure that there are ways of achieving equally good results using some lateral thinking with reasonably priced components. Can't see why a DAC should cost £KK's or a simple cable £00's to achieve improvements over some of the real world products out there.

Paul.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast