+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tellurium q Graphite USB

I'm fuckoff.

Thumbs up Tellurium q Graphite USB

In my humble experience, cables make a difference to the sound of my system, so where I can, I demo and pick the best.

Oddly enough, I could never hear a difference with the cables that links my source (PC) to the DAC I used at the time (mdac). I tried tq black, oyaide coax etc and settled with a £4 USB cable. I always maintained that it could make a difference elsewhere and didn't bother trying to work out why it wasn't the case here.

SO, new DAC and an opportunity to put my theory to the test. I'm demoing a graphite USB cable, courtesy of mcru.

Now, part of me wanted to not hear a difference, but I let my ears judge and what a difference I heard

It was akin to the first time I plugged my tq ultra blacks in, the soundstage expanded, everything cleared up, bass became cleaner, fuller (not louder, just better). Every instrument had more space round them, the texture became more visceral (but not overwhelmingly so, I've never been so happy with the balance of my system).

Funnily enough, my brother and I did the exact same thing as when then ultras went in, just looked at each other as if to ask "are you hearing what I'm hearing?".

The cable isn't burnt in yet, all tq stuff seems to sound very slightly rough round the edges at first, but I'm hoping to enjoy every second of getting it up to speed

This is an incredible bit of cable

I'm Jerry.

There are some VERY scathing comments on the 'wam about expensive USB cables. Although I have a cheap USB cable I shall probably replace it with something better because all interconnects sound different to me.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post

Oddly enough, I could never hear a difference with the cables that links my source (PC) to the DAC I used at the time (mdac). I tried tq black, oyaide coax etc and settled with a £4 USB cable. I always maintained that it could make a difference elsewhere and didn't bother trying to work out why it wasn't the case here.
    Probably because the MDAC has an isolated and correctly implemented asynchronous USB input.

This is an incredible bit of cable
    Did you mention the name of your new DAC? If the cable is making a difference to your DAC then go back to the MDAC...

I've looked at USB cable and signal technology a fair bit recently and would not question anybody hearing a difference in USB cables, however, with correct USB implementation at the DAC they really should not make any difference.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm fuckoff.

Tbh Jerry, they're entitled to their opinion, I don't know what their systems sound like and they've not heard mine.

But Im in your camp mate, I'm glad I kept an open mind and feel vindicated in trying again, now I've got a new DAC.

New gear, new rules, and this USB cable sounds so so much better than what I had in before (furutech formula 2).

If you can stretch to tq prices, I thoroughly recommend giving them a go. Its a lot to pay "for a bit of wire" but its an investment.

I'm Clive.

I find USB cables matter but you don't need expensive ones.

1) short is better, even using cheap hardwired adapters if you can manage to plug one between PC and DAC. I've made very short (5cm) cables using Malplin plugs, these better some very pricey audiophile cables.

2) if your DAC doesn't take power from the computer USB then buy or make a cable with no +5V wire. Big improvement from this.

So a short cable and no 5V wire is my recipe. Here's a rough diy example:
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm fuckoff.

'Nrg' why would I go back?

My new DAC destroys the mdac in every department!

I'm not going to get into implementation of USB etc because I don't know or care how that a stuff works, I trust my ears and if putting another cable in makes a difference, for the better I'm going to stick with it. Why does the cup have to be half empty all the time?

***EDIT*** my new dac is a Longdog Audio VDt1 DAC.

I'm Neal.

I dont know what you mean by your last sentence. I hope to have a good chat with Nick at our next DIY bash about USB.

+1 to Clives post we talked about this on AT and I found the same.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Craig.

How much does the new TQ cable cost?

Cancel that, just found out.

£450.

Gulp!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm fuckoff.

I don't know enough to argue about USB implementation, I trust my ears and am happy to improve the sound of my system and I'm happy I can do so, that's what I'm saying.

@ice £450

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    I don't know enough to argue about USB implementation, I trust my ears and am happy to improve the sound of my system and I'm happy I can do so, that's what I'm saying.

@ice £450
    OK, but maybe you should A/B it with something like a Wireworld Ultraviolet cable at £40-odd quid... seems like a hell of a lot of money to not compare with other "serious" USB cables.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast