Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good cable makes?

I'm Dave.

Yeah, it's the off-center speaker position that bugs me the most. If I'm honest I haven't noticed much difference between the sound from the left and right channels but there does seem to be a lack of width to the stereo image. I'm hoping that's something the new cables will improve a bit. When it comes to the TV possition, I already have the fronts of the speakers in front of the TV, so there's not much more I can do about that. I may try moving them a bit further forward to see if it makes a difference. Hopefully the situation will improve when I get an LCD TV as well.

I use Avondale Black Link for speaker cables. I have been using them for about a year and they have been the best all rounders that I have tried. Not bad pricewise either.

Regards

Chris

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFidelityGuy View Post
    Nooooo, not more complications.
    This is turning into a nightmare. I can't win one way or another.
    I currently have my hi-fi rack directly to the right of my right speaker and my TV in between the speakers. The reasons I wanted to move the hi-fi between the speakers is that it would allow me to use shorter speakers cables, get my speakers slightly further apart and de-clutter the living room a bit. Also I'm going to have to buy a new TV stand at some point anyway due to me getting a new TV. Due to my room layout and the wife's insistence on having somewhere for our guests to sit, I don't have any other options.

Here's my current layout LINK does anyone have any suggestions on how I could tweak this? You can just about see the sofa poking out in front of the hi-fi rack. This is the cause of most of my troubles.

Thanks.
    Sorry

You have an awkward room....perhaps if your new TV is a flat panel (less depth, so effects the sound less) and you place it as close to the wall as possible but not mounting it on the wall (which you could do but is messy as it involves tracking the wall to make the cables vanish). You could place your hi-fi on this new TV stand with some good isolation to minimise the effect of the glass they tend to be made from. If you do this I would try and isolate the TV from the hi-fi mains as AV gear and TV's do mess the sound up too....sorry I know another problem. Crt TV's aren't as bad as flat panel TV's in this regard, its probably the switch mode psu's they use.

This is probably the best compromise. I know what its like to have a less than ideal room lay out.

Dave I too have a slight left image shift, its down to a bay window to the side of the left speaker. Pulling the curtain reduces it a bit. One of the reasons I have my BAT pre is it has a balance control to cure this problem.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 17-04-2009 at 17:48.
    Regards Neil

I'm Robin.

I see that Sterling, who make Blck Mamba, have 4 new speaker cables lined up - should be interesting.

I'm Dave.

No problem D S D L , thanks for mentioning it. I'd rather know of potential problems before I buy stuff so I can at least try and plan round the problem.

My new TV will be LCD, so I'll be able to get it much closer to the wall.
    I'm currently thinking about getting THIS TV stand. As it's made of curved wood and it's fairly low, I'm hoping it won't affect the sound too much.

What do you think to this?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFidelityGuy View Post
    No problem D S D L , thanks for mentioning it. I'd rather know of potential problems before I buy stuff so I can at least try and plan round the problem.

My new TV will be LCD, so I'll be able to get it much closer to the wall.
    I'm currently thinking about getting THIS TV stand. As it's made of curved wood and it's fairly low, I'm hoping it won't affect the sound too much.

What do you think to this?

Looks nice...can't say how it will sound though, but wood in a curve may be less of an issue than flat plate glass. Is there enough ventilation for your gear ?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post

Looks nice...can't say how it will sound though, but wood in a curve may be less of an issue than flat plate glass. Is there enough ventilation for your gear ?

Regards D S D L
    Thanks.
    I think the ventilation will be fine as the back is fairly open. I just need to double check the shelf heights and a few details.

Cool

Hi all,
    i just wanted to say that this this thread has been very heplfull to me personally as i have been wanting to upgrade my interconnects and did not know which path to follow. What has swayed me is to cost and as a result i have ordered some mark grant cables interconnects - coaxial and stereo cables at a very reasonable price 44 pound sterling inc. delivery for abroad which i consider a bargain.
    thanks alot for sharing your wisdom/views/experience on the matter.
    I feel it is important to acknowledge this as although one person asks for help many bystander readers also benefit without the contributers of the thread ever knowing so being a member of this forum i would encourage positive feeback for those who help the rest of us. many members on this forum have spent alot of hard earned cash and time to get their audio sytems to present day set ups and the rest of us are reaping in the rewards of that process. yet they take the time to pass on this wisdom to others too.
    i do like what marco says about not being fixated on one particular make but using any component to improve the sound and moving on to others too. Swapping an 800 pound interconnect for a 30 pound one doesnt makes sense in theory but obviously does in practice. it took a while but I finally get it now what you said Marco when i was a new member to this forum about some hifi makers wanting to brain wash their buyers that their products are the best because they are the most expensive but IMHO after just a little experimenting i now understand this is not necessarily so in the realm of the hifi world. since joining this forum i have spent about 700(peanuts for some im sure!) pounds on upgrades of speakers, second hand amp and an external dac with modifications and feel i have a stereo system i can be very happy with - and thats what matters at the end of the day.
    Regards,
    Kalozois

I'm Dave.

Excellent, I'm glad other people are finding this useful.

I'm Mike.

Default MAGNETISM & CRTs

Just another problem (ho ho!) regarding CRTs and speakers. Too close to powerful magnets (i.e. speaker chassis) and a colour spot forms on the screen. I've had this a number of times and believe I may have it now, but just can't be bothered. Think I used to de-gauze in the past, or maybe I just bought a newer TV!

Wonder if plasma and l.c.d. tvs suffer from this?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast