• 8 out of 10

4 14.81%
  • 9 out of 10

6 22.22%
  • 10 out of 10

10 37.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club Week 91: 30.04.2013: Genesis - 'Seconds Out' (1977)

MartinT Guest

Yep - Selling England and Trick of the Tail are also 10/10 albums for me, but they don't negate Seconds Out from being one of the best live albums ever.

I'm john.

I got the reissue 180 gm LP last week...stunning ..but..at the start of side 3 there is a tiny flaw which causes a loud tick for almost 2 minutes..spoils it but am keeping it.
    John.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    but they don't negate Seconds Out from being one of the best live albums ever.
    Hmmm, don't agree with that at all Martin, but each to their own

I am scratching my head a little over at the 10/10's TBH, is it to do with 'how it sounds' or the musical content of the performance?
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I am scratching my head a little over at the 10/10's TBH, is it to do with 'how it sounds' or the musical content of the performance?
    In my case, both of course. Otherwise it wouldn't score so highly. It has regularly featured in my playlist over the years and is often a first choice if I want to put some Genesis on, getting about equal ranking with Selling and Trick.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Another example I reckon in how I listen to music, I am it seems the odd man out again - still nothing new there

MartinT Guest

We all listen differently, Tim. I learned that many years ago when I get enthusiastic about an album or song and others just don't see it. The reverse can be equally true. It's the way that music touches and connects that's fascinating.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
    I got the reissue 180 gm LP last week...stunning ..but..at the start of side 3 there is a tiny flaw which causes a loud tick for almost 2 minutes..spoils it but am keeping it.
    Ouch, right in the "best" track of the album! This version of Supper's Ready gives me goosebumps practically every time i play it!
    Not an option to return it for a mint sample?

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    We all listen differently, Tim. I learned that many years ago when I get enthusiastic about an album or song and others just don't see it. The reverse can be equally true. It's the way that music touches and connects that's fascinating.
    Thats true, however id probably put Hawkwind 'Space Ritual' as my number one live album

I'm Lawrence.

I've now had a chance to listen all of the way through a couple of times. There are a number of tracks I really like but although the sound quality is excellent I think the album lacks a bit of the 'sense of occasion' that you get with other live albums. I believe that The Who 'Live in Leeds' is meant to be a benchmark but I haven't managed to find a vinyl copy for a reasonable price yet.

My favourite live album is Bruce Springsteen 'Live 1975-1985', but it's not just one concert but several so I'm not sure that is a fair comparison.

I think I will give this an 8, although I suspect it will grow on me the more I play it.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by losenotaminute View Post
    although the sound quality is excellent I think the album lacks a bit of the 'sense of occasion' that you get with other live albums.
    Couldn't have put it better myself

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast