+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 120v to 220v

I'm Paul.

Default 120v to 220v

Hi folks. Located in Vancouver Canada where we have 120v wiring. I have an Air Tight ATM-1 amp that runs on 220v, and I use it with a step up transformer. I am this week having an electrician come to install a 220v circuit into the main fuse panel to use only with the amp, so just the one AC receptacle will be at 220v.

Any advice or tips on wiring practices? I understand the electrician will be using 12 gauge wire at 20A, which I assume will be hardy enough for the 220 voltage?

Anyone have experience with this type of electrical upgrade?

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by ppat2 View Post
    Any advice or tips on wiring practices?
    Hi Paul, my tip is LABEL IT. When anyone comes back to it in a few years time having forgotten which wire is which you don't want fireworks

The cable gauge is fine, the current at 220V is almost half that at 120V.
    Make sure the fuse holders or breakers that are used are rated 220V or more.

Alan
    Last edited by Firebottle; 30-04-2013 at 06:24. Reason: syntax
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm ChrisB.

I'd put a non Canadian socket on it so no one is likely to be able to plug anything else into it. You'll obviously need to get a matching plug. Also put some sort of label inside the socket for anyone who might decide to change it in future.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 30-04-2013 at 07:34.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Agree with Chris, use something different so nothing else can be plugged in. Make sure the consumer unit is properly labelled with warning signs.

I'm Nobody.

Don't you guys in Canada have both 110v & 220v supply? or is the higher voltage just for appliances like washing machines etc..

I'm Paul.

In Canada we have 220v mainly for large appliances, stove, fridge, etc. All else is 120v. I am going to look into the idea of a different plug type, and check that the fuse and breakers can handle 220v or more. Thanks guys...

I'm Paul.

Smile

Well, the job is done and my Air Tight ATM-1 is now on a dedicated 220v 20A circuit. No more step up transformer.

Wow, this is a big change, it is clear now that the step up was adding a lot of noise. Every aspect has improved in a quite amazing way. More involving and musical, and clear background. Richer tones, better timbre.

But guess what? The amp has turned into a rock n roll party animal!

Soft warm tube sound? Yes, the tube glow is still there, but wow is this rocking out now with killer deep and tight bass and hard driving rhythm and mids. The Air Tight would surprise the heck out of a lot of folks right now. My NAD C275BEE at 150w could not rock out like this.

Rolling Stones and anything guitar driven is so tonally rich that it sounds much more like live music than I have ever heard, and this from my Proac Response D Two standmounts.

It has been a long time since I have felt air guitar tempted but now can't resist.

I also installed a Furutech GTX-D Rhodium AC receptacle for the amp. No point in throwing in a cheap receptacle when doing a job like this.

I'm Alan.

That's brilliant Paul.
    When valves are done well they can rock as you've found out

Enjoy your music all over again.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread