+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: RFC-MC1 Step-up Transformer

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Bob.

My thoughts on the RFC-1.

Physically I found it remarkably light and the finish is good for a prototype.

To set the scene, my experience of SUTs in my system is quite limited. My phonostage is an Icon Audio PS1.2 MM/MC, which uses it's own internal SUTs rather than active electronics for the MC stage. I presume these operate before the MM stage when MC is selected. The SUTs are not labelled so I'm unable to tell which make they are, or indeed the ratio ! I've also recently acquired a Martha SUT (6:1) which I've been using into the MM stage. My cartridge is a Benz Micro Wood SL – 0.5 mv; impedance 12 ohms; load >100 ohms according to manufacturer's details.

Music – prog rock, jazz/classical piano, chamber music, large orchestral

And the nitty-gritty ?!

I've been trying the Martha for a couple of months now and don't feel the combination of Martha/MM phonostage is as good as the standard MC for the phonostage. The frequency extremes are slightly muted with the Martha in place and some of the detail is lost. Could this be the 6:1 ratio ? By comparing volume level with the RFC-1, I suspect that the unlabelled SUTs in the phonostage are 10:1 as well. Is there a better way of finding this out, for a technical numpty like myself ?

Onto the RFC-1/MM phonostage combination. Firstly, there is no trace of any noise/hum (I followed the grounding instructions closely !). There was no ill-effect on the already wide soundstage from the GyroDec/Wood combination and image location is excellent, more precise than before. The overall sound is very clean, showing a slight improvement to frequency extremes compared with just the phonostage.

Overall, I like this a lot; it gives a noticeable improvement over my current vinyl set-up When funds permit, I’ll go for it.

Good luck with the SUTs, Paul.

k
    k

NA Space Deck/NA Ace Space 12" arm/Benz Micro Wood SL - Noteworthy Phonote phono - Consonance CD120L CDP - Audion Select passive pre - Audion Silver Night Anniversary 300b power amp - Sugden A21a - ProAc Response D20R - Quadraspire Q4 rack

Michell GyroDec/AudioNote Arm ii/Ortofon Quintet Black - Silvercore "One to Ten" SUT - Croft RIAA - Marantz 6005 CD - Croft 25R Pre - Croft 7 Power - Heco Celan 300

I'm Paul.

Many thanks Bob

level matching by volume can give you an approximation of the SUT value but you'd have to measure it to know what the value is. Many standard ones within MC stages usually consist of a 1:10; 1:12.5 or 1:15 step up.

The RFC-MC1 production units are a little weightier than the prototype and better finished, having some subtle internal changes such as mass loading for reducing any microphonic risks from vibration, the use of a custom board for the electronics and some minor changes (improvements) to the quality of fittings.

I'm Paul.

SUT is now en-route to the next person in the trial. I'd like to (tactfully) make a little point at this juncture which is to point out that this is a trial being offered to those interested in the MC1. It is not a "loan" item but is being offered on a trial basis (I've had some enquiries about "borrowing it for a while" but it is not a loaner item to plug a temporary gap in a system! I'm more than happy to add anyone else onto the list as long as it is with this understanding. There are a fair few people waiting to be added to the list who are genuinely interested in the MC1.
    Last edited by Reffc; 05-06-2013 at 09:39.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678