+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tisbury Audio Mini Passive Pre-amp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    hi jerry, could i use a passive preamp with a bushmaster dac? soz if thats a daft question
    I guess if your Bushmaster puts out around 2V and your poweramp only needs around 1.2V then you are going to be just fine. If your poweramp needs more than 2V you are proverbially stuffed. I personally think you'd be fine.

I'm James.

the bushmaster does, i think put out 2v and my marantz pm8003 needs 1.6v according to the manual so post holiday i may take the plunge.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    the bushmaster does, i think put out 2v and my marantz pm8003 needs 1.6v according to the manual so post holiday i may take the plunge.
    Got one yet? - if so, any thoughts on it?

I'm James.

it'll have to wait im afraid, need beer money for my hols

I'm tony.

E Mailed Tisbury with my system requirements.....one t amp-temple audio mono blocks based set up with Spendor sp1s and the other valve kel84 mono blocks driving Quad 63s...I don't know what the amp specs are but my current pre is a MF M1HPA active that functions as a single line pre. I only require one input for my MF M1 DAC.I would love to try one in my set up that would allow me to switch outputs to the respective systems without swapping phono leads.

I'm tony.

Just ordered the pre from Tisbury....I asked for one input and two variable outputs and one line output so that I can utilise my headphone amp. Look forward to hearing a passive pre and what it does to my two set ups.

I'm tony.

Just received the pre amp this morning, surprised at just how small it is. It is beautifully built with a lovely positive action to the input selector and the volume knob.

Initially I tried it with my temple audio mono blocks and Spendor sp1s, I connected the amp to the higher output phonos on the back of the temples and run it on the blue power output( for temple users) volume at twelve o clock on the pre was just about right, my initial impression was surprise at just how much my active pre had been influencing the sound, its far more transparent and natural sounding having really opened up the soudstage and separating out backing vocals from the main artist, bass is far less coloured and more honest not at all lacking as I had feared.

Next up a brief check that the head phone amp was getting fed from the fixed output....as far as I can tell the pre is invisible in the chain not adding or subtracting anything.

As I am typing I am listening to my valve mono blocks and quad 63s, my active pre was outputting too much for this set up only letting me get to about 10 o clock on the volume before things started distorting, I wasn't sure if it was the statics or valves clipping. My main concern for this set up was that the tubes would not have enough grunt to drive the statics without a active to help them along----it was unfounded.
    at just over 12 o clock on the volume the level is just about perfect. It is producing a very unforced sound now, the best I have heard from this combo so far.

I am delighted with the sound my set up is making, the unique spec I ordered cost me an additional £10, Wes at Tisbury audio kept me fully updated with the progress and shipping. One very happy customer.

Having trusted hi fi pig reviews in the past with recommendations I can honestly endorse this wee pre amp( in my set up with my ears in my room).

Should be another Scottish get together in the near future will let the troops cast judgement for themselves.

+ Reply to Thread