+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Little Bear P5 preamp

Box13 Guest

Default Little Bear P5 preamp

I have just made the most incredible upgrade to any system I've ever owned for the cost of £4:60!!!
    The Little Bear P5 preamp has just been assembled and place between my Denon510 CD player and my TeacA5000 amplifier.
    The bass now truly 'slams' the treble is as sweet as a nut and the dynamics are a whole lot better. The soundstage is huge and very broad. It makes my CD player sound like an expensive turntable!!!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Box13 View Post
    I have just made the most incredible upgrade to any system I've ever owned for the cost of £4:60!!!
    The Little Bear P5 preamp has just been assembled and place between my Denon510 CD player and my TeacA5000 amplifier.
    The bass now truly 'slams' the treble is as sweet as a nut and the dynamics are a whole lot better. The soundstage is huge and very broad. It makes my CD player sound like an expensive turntable!!!!!

Some photos would be nice, if you can manage it Box.
    Barry

I'm Louis.

Hey,

I've just noticed these. I'm thinking of getting one to act as volume control buffer between my Project phonobox RS phono pre-amp and my impending power amp upgrade (not sure what that will be yet, CA 851W, Quad 909mk1 or something).

So, do they really sound good or will it not be up to matching with a reasonable system? Price is amazing and I've always wanted some valves. Wouldn't object to the warmth either (sonically that is!)

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisB View Post
    Hey,

I've just noticed these. I'm thinking of getting one to act as volume control buffer between my Project phonobox RS phono pre-amp and my impending power amp upgrade (not sure what that will be yet, CA 851W, Quad 909mk1 or something).

So, do they really sound good or will it not be up to matching with a reasonable system? Price is amazing and I've always wanted some valves. Wouldn't object to the warmth either (sonically that is!)

I probably shouldn't be posting this as I have not heard the Little Bear pre but if I'd invested a good few quid on a decent deck, phono stage, power amp and speakers I wouldn't be looking to put a £5 pre-amp in my system other than as an emergency stop gap. How good can it be? It costs a fiver.

I have heard a couple of IFI Audio's products and they're incredibly good value for money and beautifully built. IFI is a spin off from AMR and lots of their tech and engineering has trickled down. This little valve buffer might do the trick for you and there are plenty of inexpensive passive pres like the Tisbury that could do a job for you.

I'm Louis.

I'm sure you're right. I just felt as a buffer / volume control it's one step from a passive pre and there's no reason why a passive pre might cost more than a few quid. The little bear is around £30 but you can bid so might get a bargain. Just an idea, also felt it could be something I could modify, as I like to experiment and modify. I don't currently have any valves at all. Almost tempted to take a punt for experimentation purposes. Spend more than that on a meal out!

Box13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LouisB View Post
    I'm sure you're right. I just felt as a buffer / volume control it's one step from a passive pre and there's no reason why a passive pre might cost more than a few quid. The little bear is around £30 but you can bid so might get a bargain. Just an idea, also felt it could be something I could modify, as I like to experiment and modify. I don't currently have any valves at all. Almost tempted to take a punt for experimentation purposes. Spend more than that on a meal out!
    The P5 normally costs £25 from China and easily commands that price, with it's performance.
    I got mine in an auction and on a week day mid-morning was very lucky with the best bid.
    If you can get one on an auction; do!
    It's still a bargain at £25, I recommend it unhesitatingly.

+ Reply to Thread