Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Research XA

I'm Nick.

Patient... Lucky... pah!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

It's a little known fact that as well as turntables, Dual also have a long and illustrious history of manufacturing annoying as hell avian related instruments of horology.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 13-04-2009 at 17:37.

I'm MYLES.

Update:
    The XA has arrived! It needs a new plinth for sure, it looks like water has got in and eaten the wood. It doesnt turn the platter, even though the motor is turning a smaller wheel beside the inner platter. That smaller wheel spins on the motor drive. Dont know what gives there. The top plate is in good nick, not sticky at all, and the platters could do with a bit of work. Things to think about. I will strip it down and take whats left of the plinth to the carpenter in work to see if he can knock up a new one from some nice wood. Any suggestions, a template would be even better!

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by myles View Post
    Update:
    The XA has arrived! It needs a new plinth for sure, it looks like water has got in and eaten the wood. It doesnt turn the platter, even though the motor is turning a smaller wheel beside the inner platter. That smaller wheel spins on the motor drive. Dont know what gives there. The top plate is in good nick, not sticky at all, and the platters could do with a bit of work. Things to think about. I will strip it down and take whats left of the plinth to the carpenter in work to see if he can knock up a new one from some nice wood. Any suggestions, a template would be even better!

Remember what I said back there?

Which version is it?
    Do you know how to tell?

The very first ones had two motors. A main motor to drive the platter, & a 'donkey motor' intended to start up the main one in the right direction. If you remove the platter, you can see the smaller drive pulley offset from the main one, connected by a belt.

I'm MYLES.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Remember what I said back there?
    Got the base off, and there is only one motor! It is a smaller pulley which connects the belt to the motor/platter. I wonder if it should have a circlip or something to hold it steady on the motor shaft?
    Last edited by myles; 14-04-2009 at 18:50.

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Myles,
    Sorry, I misread your post - I thought you were describing a 2nd pulley.
    (Really busy at the mo' - trying to get this floor tiled before a mad dash across the Pennines tonight).

I'm MYLES.

Thats ok! Still flummoxed about this pulley being fastened to the motor shaft.

I'm ChrisB.

I never had that problem.
    I think it may just be a friction fit - If so you could try wrapping some PTFE tape around the spindle, using some silicon sealant or building the spindle up with a tiny amount of solder. The pulley is aluminium, so you probably won't get solder to stick to it.
    I do know there were replacement synthetic pulleys available which were better machined & added mass - they're probably still available, try the Vinyl Nirvana website I gave you the link for.

I'm MYLES.

The shaft is loose in the pulley so I will try those tips, when I have done the cosmetics. No point in fitting the pulley permanently until I have the top plate perfect, but its in pretty good nick to be fair.

I'm ChrisB.

For the plinth, I did one with some solid birch timber floorboards. The tongue-in-groove allows you to rebate the top plate. You have to plane down the insides of the groove back to solid wood & the outside to the same depth as the top plate. Make mitred joints & put some equilateral triangle cross-sectioned corner braces - use No More Nails or similar to glue it & Bob's yer auntie's live-in lover.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast