+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Silver cables

I'm Mike.

Default Silver cables

I have had a pair of SilverSonic T14 speaker cables for quite few yesrs. They are silver over copper cable. I have tried them with several amps and speakers over the years and never really liked what they did. Recently, I tried them with my Rega Brio-R and Harbeth P3ESRs. The result this time was a lot better than the other combinations I tried. It is still somewhat of a mixed bag though. They are bit brighter than copper, but they open the sound up more. The copper cables seem more solid and the frequencies are more cohesive, but the sound is a bit more shut in. The timing with the T14 does not seem quite as good as the copper for some reason. The T14 does seem to have a way with vocals. They seem much more natural sounding. Has anybody tried all silver cables with the Harbeths, something like Nordost or similar?

I'm Mike.

Well this is downright fascinating. I cranked things up a bit or a lot - I can't seem to tell how loud it is with the T14 in the chain. This seems to be a more cerebal type of listening. I really have no urge to move my body. With the copper cables things are bit more rough around the edges, but there seems to be more pizzazz and get-up-and-go. I want to tap my foot and move around. With the T14, all that is in my brain. That might sound like maybe it is more boring, but it is actually quite engaging, just in a different way. I have never been a big cable guy, but this is really interesting ... and fun.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecole View Post
    I have had a pair of SilverSonic T14 speaker cables for quite few yesrs. They are silver over copper cable. I have tried them with several amps and speakers over the years and never really liked what they did. Recently, I tried them with my Rega Brio-R and Harbeth P3ESRs. The result this time was a lot better than the other combinations I tried. It is still somewhat of a mixed bag though. They are bit brighter than copper, but they open the sound up more. The copper cables seem more solid and the frequencies are more cohesive, but the sound is a bit more shut in. The timing with the T14 does not seem quite as good as the copper for some reason. The T14 does seem to have a way with vocals. They seem much more natural sounding. Has anybody tried all silver cables with the Harbeths, something like Nordost or similar?

I use a Connex Audio interconnect ( £50) that is supposed to be 5N silver and is surprisingly smooth and full- bloodied and also their 5N Solid Core speaker cable and that is very smooth and full- bloodied also
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Mike.

I hope you meant full-bodied, otherwise, those must be some very dangerous cables They certainly look interesting though. Have you tried copper cables in your sytem? If so, can you tell me what kind of differences you heard between the copper and the silver?

+ Reply to Thread