+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gale GS401 Re-foam Project

MartinT Guest

Ok, thanks Geoff. I've found one (stuck in the front cover) so I'll need to find another one.

I'm Geoff.

Try putting a WTD in "Private Exhibitions".

You'd be amazed what people have laying about (especially me).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

MartinT Guest

Done

I'm Geoff.

The dome covers are best refitted using thin double sided adhesive tape, as was done by the manufacturer. Very carefully scrape off any old residue first.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I haven't opened them up yet but it looks like my crossovers may be point-to-point rather than the UK made PCBs.
    Oops Your quite right, the U.S made ones are point to point & by the look of it are stapled to the cabinet... I'm sure you'll have fun removing them

MartinT Guest

Really? Not mounted on a sub-board?

I'm James.

Sorry I didn't type that very well... It looks like the sub-board is stapled to the cabinet.

I'm Geoff.

They look like decent sized air cored inductors. The terminals, caps & wiring may be worth updating. The ceramic 'L' pads may be worth leaving in circuit, as the balance of the speaker will alter if you take them out and you might have to tinker with the crossover to get things how you like them.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The calibration was done and then the pot-knobs placed after, so before removing them, please check the resistances either side of the pots should you wish to use hard wired fixed values - may not matter by now but thought I should mention it.

401's and 402's need POWER and I remember preferring them mounted sideways, but it's obviously up to the user These things could rock on jazz and percussive music in general and once cleaned up, it'll be interesting to read how they compare with modern stuff...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

MartinT Guest

Thanks Dave, I was reading that last night. I shall measure and note the resistance of each arm of the pot and will replace with fixed resistors.

No problem with POWER - I have a Chord SPM-1200E, remember?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast