+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Gale GS401 Re-foam Project

MartinT Guest

Crossovers installed...

All ready for the lambs' wool...

Lambs' wool stuffing done. Why is there more left over than came out of the things?! I had a problem with the length of my hex bolts when trying to secure the midrange drivers, so longer bolts are on order from eBay. I have some long slotted bolts and will use those in a test full assembly tonight. It's about time I power them up and have a listen.

I'm ChrisB.

Good stuff(ing) Martin!
    One thing's for sure, that's that your power amp is up to the job - I think a good few people must have bought 401s and been disappointed with what they've heard because they used a 'normal' amp.

MartinT Guest

Yes, the Chord gives me hope for a good, tight, sound Chris. Driving those four woofers and maintaining control must be a bit of a load on a standard amp of 40-50W output. Thinking back, I've never owned a pair of infinite baffle speakers and I'm hoping to hear something a little different.

I'm ChrisB.

Good infinite baffles have that snap to the bass that's hard to match any other way.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Good infinite baffles have that snap to the bass that's hard to match any other way.
    I'll go along with that. I've not heard the 401s for many years, but remember a sound that was not entirely unlike the Yamaha NS1000 for tautness and detail over the whole range. The HF2000 is actually sweeter sounding than the Yam tweeter and incredibly revealing.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Martin, it could be worth asking this fella if he still has the tweeter/s ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/babacat1/m...p2047675.l2562

He's stripped a pair of 401's for parts - I presume the tweeters were knackered but you only want one of the mesh grilles. I'm still on the lookout for you regardless...

MartinT Guest

Thanks, James! I'll ask him.

MartinT Guest

Ah bugger, he's short by a grill too!

I'm James.

Typical The search goes on !

... Have you had a listen to them yet ?!

MartinT Guest

Not yet - I'm having problems with bolts, Tee-nuts and hole alignment. A handy reamer is putting things right. I think the Gale 'craftsmen' were a little sloppy in this respect, they used wood screws which are not precise and each cabinet is a little different. I'm taking my time and doing it right.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast